Smiling sun & Friendship knot

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by tinkernetic, Oct 27, 2010.

1. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    They arrived this morning:
    DSCI0018.JPG DSCI0025.JPG
    DSCI0029.JPG DSCI0027.JPG

I'm very happy :)
    But I do need to polish them to remove those "steps" from the surface. What can you recommend me to use, I prefer not to use power tools. Can I use a file/sandpaper for smoothing the surfaces? Should I also consider some sort of polishing paste? I just haven't done anything like that before.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. :eek: The smiling sun is awesome, I would not completely remove the print artifacts from it, they seems part of the rays

3. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    Glad you like it :)
    I'm not sure about the print artifacts. I don't really like how they look on it :confused

4. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Looks cool! Do you mind me asking why you don't want to use power tools? I use a dremel for grinding and polishing my pieces, and can't imagine how long it would take to do it without power tools. :eek: Plus you're likely to get carpal tunnel if you try to do it by hand. The steel is really hard and tough.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm getting a new washer this week so maybe I'll use my old one for an idea I have. I wanted to fill it with sand and salt water, to put glass in to make beach glass. Perhaps it would work well to polish stainless items?

6. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    Well, mostly because I don't have a dremel and I don't think I can spend the money on buying one anytime soon :neutral:

Youknowwho4eva, that's an interesting idea. I also have an old washing machine at home, not sure it works though :D

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I got the cheap WalMart special dremel. Might not be strong enough for the stainless, but worked well for replacing the glass in a broken window. I'll have to test it on a piece to tell you if the $25 version will work for you.

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Dremels have really come down in price and I recommend one. I wouldn't even dream of trying that by hand!

And, yes, I think it needs polishing. See that artefact near the eye? That bugs me and is a reason why I don't get anything printed in gold anymore - they really make jewellery look cheap. At least with s/steel you can polish it. It actually looks good when some areas are polished more than others, creating some contrast.

Glenn