"One ring to pwn the ball" and "Battle for infinity"

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by TerraCotta, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Two new designs that I received a little while ago. The first is a new, even more impossible version of the "One ring to rule the ball" pendants / fidget toys that have been outselling everything else in my shop. I call it "One ring to pwn the ball" :
    IMG_0067_800x600.jpg
    Model description:
    Even fidget toys get to have a "2.0"
    . An updated version of the popular "One ring to rule the ball" design with fewer twists, thicker wire, and a bigger ball, "One ring to pwn the ball" takes its steampunk ancestry in a smooth, contemporary direction that's twice as ruthless with your mind--it seems doubly impossible that this ball could be solidly contained by just one short, twisting wire. With no hole in the middle for a rubber or leather strap, you'll have to go to https://www.shapeways.com/model/145208/one_ring_to_pwn_the_ba ll_pendant.html to wear it around your neck. But in both cases you'll get solid stainless steel with optional bronze antiquing or gold plating, and a look that ties brains in knots.
    IMG_0065_800x600.jpg
    I've priced "One ring to pwn the ball" at $25 to simplify ordering, but since there is no labour overhead the price will go down as the design time is paid off, and ultimately be released as CC-BY.

The second design is a piece I've created in topmod and just love, though I'm not yet convinced anyone else will think much of it. A pendant called "Battle for infinity", I used it as a test print for some of the new stainless finishes and glass, though I will probably offer it as a co-creator because of the many subtle alterations possible with it--look carefully:
    IMG_0085_800x600.jpg

I also printed some Battle for infinity earrings in high gloss white glass, but the design is IMHO too delicate so it will need reworking:
    IMG_0091_800x600.jpg
    This design did print well in steel, though I haven't photographed them yet as I need to attach earring hooks--Shapeways' silver plated hooks don't look right with the steel. Too shiny.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Simply amazing... very nice work!

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I would like to see the ball with a whole in it so you could run a necklace through it, then you could run the ring around the ball and wear it.

4. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    @stop4stuff Comments like yours are what keep me doing this. They light up my day :) .

@youknowwho4eva I went and measured as soon as I saw your comment--the ball is not quite large enough to accommodate a hole fitting the standard necklace since this design runs on much more hairline precisions than the classic 'one ring to rule the ball'. But I am creating a larger, more expensive version for a friend and I can try it with that design. One thing to note--because of the shape of the spiral you would start tangling the necklace as soon as you completed a full turn (if I understand you correctly). But I'm now inspired to create one where the necklace runs through the ball and the cage turns by design--if I can find any time in between working on ultimate desk toys and unique christmas ornaments. Speaking of which, the ultimate desk toy is now available as just a stand (a prelude to the full open-source parts launch) and is left-hander friendly with a configurable orientation depending on your preferred style of usage.

sincerely,
    Jeff

5. I really like your "Battle for Infinity". For some reason, the black glass one kinda reminds me of a dragon... :confused

Andy

6. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Thanks Andy--two for two!

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I was thinking if you had it so the necklace didn't loop around the bar, that way it would always stay in the gap (I believe).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    It totally makes sense that it would seem like that, but actually the gaps spiral around the same way the wires do, so every time the gap loops through the middle you get a tangle no matter how you put the string.

9. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Wow, just wow. I really wish I had waited a few weeks before ordering the original "one ring", because now I have to save up enough to buy that. On second thought, maybe this is a good thing. Now I know what I'm going to buy next (I'm always so indecisive when it comes to Shapeways), because I'm a sucker for a complete set. The infinity ones are fascinating too. Heck, everything that comes out of your shop is so impressive! It really inspires me to try and take my designs to the next level too.

10. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    @charmedkitty Just a heads-up warning there on that set thing--once I work out the kinks there will be earrings and possibly an eventual bracelet too (probably not before christmas).

11. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Well, I know what to ask folks for for Christmas then... MONEY! :laughing:

Though I might not get the earrings. I don't like dangling earrings very much, even when they are small, and I can't imagine you could make this design into studs ;). The bracelet though... That idea intrigues me.

12. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    The bracelet would probably have to cost somewhere around $60-$80 dollars which is why it got pushed to the back burner. But in my pipe dreams for it it has a configurable shape/size and holds multiple balls which are switchable, customisable, and individually purchasable, like charms for a charm bracelet. You could do letters that spell something, pictures of your cat in "full colour" material, or symbols that are meaningful or cool, like characters from other languages, items from history or pop culture, ........./drifts off into the magical idea-land where there is always enough time to do everything.......... :)

13. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    TerraCotta, I got inspiration from your 'Battle for Infinity' design... you got PM :)

14. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Thanks stop4stuff--hit you back with one!