Why does my shop suddenly look bad?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Shapeways,

My shop suddenly looks bad, see picture below (Internet Explorer). Items overlap. How can I make my shop look right again?

Oskar

P.S. It looks OK in Firefox, but I don't think I can convince my customers to use Firefox from now on.
    P.S. The Forum doesn't look good in Firefox either. The buttons on the right ("Edit", "Quote") go over the edge.

View attachment 4924

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi Oskar,

I will pass this on to the development team,

Hopefully it can be rectified in this Thursday's update.

I had not seen it in any browsers at all?

Duann

3. I hadn't seen this before either; I use Opera most of the time and the shops all look just fine, including yours. Out of curiosity, what browser did you find the problem in?

Andy

4. 42470_deleted
    42470_deleted Member
    I have more or less the same problem with the forum. see picture

ojee.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. GHP
    GHP Member
    I am not having this problem with my shop, however I have been having the same problem viewing messages in the forum in Internet Explorer 8 for some time. Text doesn't wrap and I can't see buttons that are on the right unless I switch into "Compatibility View" (according to the tooltip: "websites designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out-of-place menus, images, or text will be corrected"). Unfortunately, other features on the Shapeways site (e.g. most of them on the page to edit my shop) don't seem to work properly when I'm in "Compatibility View", so I have to remember to turn it off.

Speaking of editing my shop, it appears that when I move an item on the first page to the right or left by one spot, and its resulting position is anywhere after the first two lines (but still on the first page), when the page is refreshed I am on the second page, so I have to go back to the first page to find and move the item again.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Appears to be a screen resolution issue.

7. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    Hi Oskar.

Does the problem still exists? I can't reconstruct the problem. Maybe you can help me by telling what version of IE you have and which operating system you use?

@ GHP

Do you know some other forum pages where this problem occurs, can you send me some links of that?

Thanks!

8. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Yes, the problem is still there. I use Windows XP and Internext Explorer v7.

Oskar

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Have you tried uping to IE8? what resolution are you running at?

10. Oskar_van_Deventer
    So your advice is that I should advice all my customers to run IE8 in order to see it looking well? I don't care for the looks for myself, as long as it is functional. I want my customers to see a good-looking professional shop, even if they happen to not have upgraded to IE8.

Oskar

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Not at all, are your customers having the same problem? I'm just trying to find a solution and hopefully what's causing the issue.

12. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Yes, at IE8, it seems to look OK.

13. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I noticed a similar issue with the forums. posts with large images caused all of the text on the page to go off the right of the page with no option to scroll sideways. I'm using IE8 with all the newest updates... the solution I found was to click on the compatibility button to the right of the address bar.

14. GHP
    GHP Member
    Sorry, I just noticed your question. It happens pretty much all the time on all the forum pages, any time anyone enters text long enough to go all the way across my screen. See the snapshot:

[​IMG]

My screen resolution is 1024x768 pixels, by the way.

Thanks,
    GHP.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  15. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    No, it should look OK in every browser, unregarding how many people use it. Design may differ slightly but it has to look proffesionally so I agree.

Thanks for your replies, it really helps to track it easier. We're still looking into this so I'll keep you guys informed through this topics.

16. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    We fixed the forum width bug. It's not tested entirely but it seems OK. Please give a shout if there's any problem.

We're still locating the shop bug, I'll come back on that.

17. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Forums look good now , cheers :thumbsup:

18. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Hi Shapeways,

I found another (minor?) problem. On my shop page there are occasionally strange characters, like "&nbsp" and "$lt", see below.

Can you do something to make then not show?

Thank you.

Oskar

Strange characters on my shop page - view 1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  19. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Plus one more screen shot.

Oskar

P.S. Why do I need to wait one minute to make this second upload? And why can I upload only one picture per post?

Strange characters on my shop page - view 2.jpg

20. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Thanks Oskar,'
    Will pass it &lton to the YET&nesb Developers... :rolleyes:

How was NYC??????????????????????????????????????