design a key

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by berky93, Aug 17, 2010.

1. berky93
    berky93 Member
    so my newest project is to duplicate my car key using 3d printing (in steel of course) I have finished the blade of the key but I still need to decide upon a design for the back end. I'm thinking I should do something related to 3d modeling, seeing as it is a 3d printed key and I am a proud modeler. And what better place to figure out the perfect 3d modeling design than a 3d modeling community.

so, any ideas?

2. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    dont car keys usually have electronic microchips in them to prevent duplicating them easily for car theft? most do now a days, here in the US anyway. good idea though if your car is old fashioned though.

3. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    Maybe you could put a bottle opener on the other end? Don't drink and drive though :p

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've actually been thinking about doing something like this. My car key has a chip, so I was thinking my house key or something. But anyways. Perhaps the logo for your car? Or the Car you wish it was :p. Another project I've been considering is the cover to my Car key as it holds my unlock/look, and trunk buttons. I also have one more Idea, but you'll have to pm me for that one. I may use that one for sales.

5. berky93
    berky93 Member
    An electronic car key case might be a good project as well. I dont have one so I dont have much reference, but theres a lot of talented modelers here I'm sure someone can do it.

I made a first version of the key using a simple mobius strip as the end. I haven't received it yet, but if you're feeling adventurous I also made a blank version. link
    I think a blank house key also would be a good idea, I might try that next.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Did you order it in stainless? I'm noticing with my house key that metal may not be an option as it's only 1/32 thick in most spots.

7. berky93
    berky93 Member
    I havent ordered it yet. But the dimensions of the key I have fit into the minimum requirements for printing in stainless steel. (the thinnest wall is 1mm, with good support)

8. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Don't the models sag a bit when being printed in Stainless steel? That could cause the key to be warped and not work. It might be easier just to make a blank key with whatever design you want at the back and then take that to get a copy made at a hardware store. Unless they can't cut stainless steel infused with bronze.

Edit: oops, I missed your link to a blank key. Lol, my bad, I should read more carefully. :p

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. berky93
    berky93 Member
    I've never noticed any sagging with my models printed in steel, but I think that even the smaller parts have enough support to not be brittle or warped. but hey, well see soon enough. I just received confirmation that my model is in production!