Shapeways value added for earrings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leessmith, Sep 19, 2015.

1. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    Hey there,

Just an idea I wanted to float. I have been asked why I don't do any earrings to go with my pendants, the simple answer is it's too expensive to print them.
    My thoughts are you need to model the earwires with the earrings (who wants to buy earrings they need to go buy something else for), but modeling that adds to the cost of the product.
    Is it worth discussing that Shapeways when they are packaging up earrings, that they put in with the pack some earwires? Through one of my wholesalers I can get a pair of silver plated earwires for .16c USD a pair. With Shapeways buying power and the fact they can offer this I am sure they would get them really cheap. They do not need to connect them to the earrings, just include them in a small plastic bag or something like that.
    The responsibility would be on the shop owner to ensure their pieces are crafted in a way that would suite the standard earwires, the only part SW play in this is including them in the packaging.
    Is this something that could be looked at as a value added for anyone creating earrings, I sure know that I would revisit making some if I knew I could reduce the print cost by not having to model that aspect of them.

Cheers

Steven

2. Also, no one, except maybe people who want to work with piercing hole expanders, wants to plug an earwire through that pierced hole if it's .8mm thick. Not to speak of 1mm, which is even thicker. Seriously, it's painful.
    So I'm all for adding earwires to orders! :)

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    This topic has come up before - they did a trial once a few years ago where they included complimentary earring hooks, but apparently it was not economical for them.

4. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    Maybe something to revisit considering the price these can be purchased through wholesale.

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    It's likely the manual touch time that's the killer, probably a multiple of the actual additional parts costs due to extra tracking, handling, customer support, etc.

6. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Once you start this kind of thing you end up with a lot of skus -- people want gold, silver, hypoallergenic, different styles, certain brands. Then do you want the models hung on the wires or can they be shipped loose...it becomes both a logistics hassle and a user community sore point.

I too think we would all sell more if there were ear wires and necklace cords...but having done this kind of business myself, I can sure see why they don't want to start.

7. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi,

good feedback. Yes it's hard because of the arguments Bathsheba made, but it does not mean we do not want to do it.
    Stay posted :)

Pete

8. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    That it is the main problem with jewelry , they must come with the chain and the earrings with backs / hooks.

It is not impossible , it is like having a little bag with the backs or chain or hooks and the product. User can mount the earrings are not that stupid , but buying around the internet will land with a 5$ back + 10$ shipping ...they end not buying.

So we literally don't mind having added price of the hooks + the product rather the buyer landing not buying.

I doubt anyone want Shapeways to mount the earrings and etc that will be a disaster and land wasted time.

But landing to the buyer a little extra bag with that along the pendants , earrings. It is doable.

Just needed to explain to the designers : "HEY DESIGNER X THE CHAIN HAS 3 MM END WE ONLY HAVE 2 LENGTHS DEAL WITH IT" and etc

When people buy silver or gold stuff they expect to come with ... the chain and x.

No hard feelings!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I noticed you bumped this old thread. This would be great! Anything to get things more sparkly around here.

If you try to do it in house I think Shapeways would first need to solve the ring sizing issue. I don't know if you are aware, but when multiple orders come in for a similar looking ring design Shapeways often times gets the different sizes get mixed up. The shipping staff need a way to measure every ring that will be shipped out to prevent this from happening. That or have the casting house mark the rings with a size tag. There are more details about this in my previous correspondence with customer service management.

Seems that if the hooks or posts are not handled at the casting house Shapeways will stumble when it comes to sorting everything out as a last step before shipping. If it could be made to work in house though then that would open up all kinds of avenues where ancillary components could be added to an order, including getting into assembly options.

Future question by Shapeways to a Shapeways customer. "Would you like an engine with that car?" :D

10. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi UniverseBecoming,

think we agree (at the moment) with your sense for priorities.
    Ring variants (or size variants) is currently higher on our priority list then combined products (earrings with hooks or pendants with necklace).

Pete

11. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Looking foreword to the eventual outcome.

12. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    I agree that product variants must be done first. Rings / Bracelets are the main products affected by this. And even some scale models that are same product in different scales , and even some sculptures would benefit from "version X big" -> "version X small -> "version X smaller" drop down menu on product page like other online shops have in general.

Have a nice day!