Selling on Etsy - approved suppliers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dfoley75, Sep 4, 2015.

1. dfoley75
    dfoley75 Well-Known Member
    I am having a potential BIG issue with Etsy. They invited me recently to apply for the new "Etsy Wholesale" side of their business. This came out a few months ago. I guess I made enough sales to get their attention.

I use Shapeways to get 95% of my designs made but there are 3 of my best selling designs I get made by other outfits that give me a volume discount. These were the 3 designs that I thought may be a good fit for Etsy Wholesale. Nothing made by Shapeways.

I started the application process, which involves trying to show that your manufacturer meets their requirements. After I got way deep into it, they told me I also needed to have Shapeways approved as a supplier, in addition to my other one, or I would not be able to list my Shapeways stuff even in my RETAIL shop on Etsy. This was not explained well at all earlier in the process, or I never would have accepted their invitation to apply for wholesale!

So, evidently Shapeways is not an approved manufacturer on Etsy. If Shapeways is not approved, then Etsy may force me to withdraw my listings. I told Etsy I wanted to withdraw my application for wholesale entirely, because I never intended to list my Shapeways stuff on wholesale anyway. If I had to choose, I'd rather keep my Shapeways listings and withdraw the ones from my other suppliers. It is pretty maddening. I have done really well on Etsy. About 45% of my sales are through Etsy, then about 40% are through my Shapeways shop, and about 15% on my own web site. So it would be a big blow to my business to have my Etsy shop shut down.

My case may be unique since I use other suppliers besides Shapeways but has anyone else run into anything like this? Anyone have suggestions for other channels besides Etsy that accepts items designed by you but manufactured by someone else?

2. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    Amazon becomes to sell handmade and already registered 3Dprinting domain. Is ETSY really banned Shapeways and such services as manufacturers??? I cannot add other similar service as my manufacturer on ETSY. Maybe, my empty shop on ETSY needs to be closed also?

3. dfoley75
    No, they are not saying they don't accept outside manufacturers. They are just asking me to provide a bunch of information so they can approve these outside suppliers. I was surprised they asked me to provide this information for Shapeways. I'm hoping it was a misunderstanding!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. panguver
    Did they demand that SW would send ETSY confirmation as your manufacturer?

5. dfoley75
    No, they are asking me to send proof that Shapeways meets their requirements, not Shapeways. The entire process has something to be desired. Etsy is really going through turmoil right now it seems as they figure out how to grow their business.

6. panguver
    Did they demand to send him the proof, what SW doesn't use a slave labor? Ha... maybe, SW would public to all ETSY admins such information more detailed... %)