Scaling tool needs to be fixed...

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by MorningStarz, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MorningStarz
    MorningStarz Member
    I'm having issues with the scaling tool, I set a size and it reloads and the size is either completely different than I want it or close to it...

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Could you provide more detail please ? Which file format(s) are you working with, what do you enter in the scale box, what are the sizes before and after. Perhaps even the model number of a model that exhibits the problem, I guess the model would not have to be "public" for shapeways' developers to access it.
    Maybe even the browser you are using plays some role, in case there is some funky javascript involved that actually runs in our browsers and not on shapeways' servers.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    There is a known issue with scaling a model a second time.

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I was trying to get a model up to >=3 mm wall thickness for the porcelain process. So first I did uploaded the base design at about 1/2 scale having very thin walls. Then I used the sandstone thicken wall tool to get them up to 2 mm thickness, and then I tried to scale up that result by 190% to fit the bounding box and get greater then 3mm walls. But it seems to get hung up on the scaling tool. Is this because the input to the scaler was from the wall thickener and they don't play nice together due to the voxel stuff??

Had to go through this gyration because I can't think of another way to get some arbitrary wall thicknesses.

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Tried it with some more uploads and it is now working!

6. Pirocious
    Pirocious Member
    Yeah I agree. It's been a struggle, totally confusing. I tested it by uploading a 1cm,1cm1,cm cube and it upload perfectly with exact scaling. I stacked them 3 high and that made it.1.7cm,1.7cm,3.3cm and tried uploading it to SWs again and its now; Cm:0.042 x / 0.042 y / 0.086 z and has black artifacts all over it. It shrank it down to microscopic size for no reason. o -o

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Pirocious, that sounds more like a general case of confusion between millimeters, centimeters and inches (either in the export settings of your software or in what you chose on upload). Was the "rescale" module of the 3dtools involved at all ? (You might want to check your file(s) with netfabb studio basic to confirm that they are at the correct size)

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you can link to the items, and/or share the files, we can investigate what's going on.

9. Pirocious
    Pirocious Member
    I don't really use Netfab because its just as weird to me. I set my settings in blender to 0.1 and I always upload it as MM. I don't know why I cant seem to understand, Lack of education in measurements maybe. I haven't had to use a ruler of any kind since 3rd grade. :x