Mobius with movable compass

Discussion in 'Materials' started by tony_n, Jun 22, 2015.

1. tony_n
    tony_n Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Wow! This is amazing. I want one!!! I can't wait for this stuff to go on sale :)

3. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Very nice!

4. BCDesign
    BCDesign Member
    That is really cool, I like how the rails twist.

5. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    Do you have some info about the sizings of this. How big the unit is, the gaps between the moving pieces and the like. I am hugely interested in doing some necklace and earring pieces with interlocking parts. It looks like there only needs to be a few mm gap between the parts looking at your vid.

Good job

S.

6. tony_n
    tony_n Member
    Hi,

The gap in between the interlocking parts is .6mm, twice that of the recommended gap, it does say to make it larger because of the casting process. It spins quite smoothly with no hangups. The whole of the design is just shy of the max bounding box of 75mm x 40mm. the rails are 3mm diameter. I did not want the first model to fail so I made everything pretty stout. It looks like I could make the tolerances tighter for the gap and still have a successful turnout. Version 2 i guess.

I am waiting on a pendant for the interlocking material and will post how that one goes.
    Thanks for your interest.

7. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    nice work, and thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

Appreciated

S.

8. Very cool. The interlocking detail is fantastic.

So although the current guidelines say 3mm for clearance, it's actually 1mm for clearance between parts. I do find 1mm is awfully much for jewelry, so it's good to know you were able to pull it off without a snag