Steampunk Geared Tea Cup

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CS1_, May 21, 2015.

1. CS1_
    CS1_ Member
    Greetings all,
    Just dropping by to share my findings and experience with the Porcelain here.

I made a small tea cup and saucer set. The cup has a geared base to fit into the geared slot on the saucer. No more jostling around when you walk about. The cup is a lot smaller than a regular tea cup...mostly due to me wanting to keep the price down.

cup.jpg

saucer.jpg

cup-and-saucer-1.jpg

There is also a handy dandy video that I uploaded an unboxing video to the 'Tubes for anyone interested in hearing my findings and such delights:
    It'll give a more in-depth blow by blow of my initial reactions and discoveries for modeling for porcelain. (Also fighting with Shapeways' awesome packaging :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGiHNrgPA8

(let me know if it plays for you...it's currently unlisted...since Porcelain is still in the testing phase :3)

Also...here's a look at the 3D model:
    cup-and-saucer-renders.jpg

I learned quite a bit, and hope that I can help someone out with the stuff I have learned as well.

Cheers
    Corretta

2. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Looks awesome! I love how the saucer connects to cup via the gears.

3. MANDELWERK
    MANDELWERK Well-Known Member
    Very cool design! Interesting to see the red glace too!

4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Beautiful! Do you have plans to print it in a transparent glaze?

5. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Fun design.
    I hope you are planning to test out the interlocking metals with your steam punk jewelry -- they seem like an ideal match.

6. CS1_
    CS1_ Member
    Thanks for the kind words. I too am happy with how it came out, and that my idea worked the first time. I was worried that the glaze would ruin the fit. I had so much anxiety waiting for it. I want to try some various finishes...but perhaps with different designs.
    :D Also... Yes, I am totally going to give the interlocking metals a go. I have been waiting my whole life for this...ok maybe not :p, but certainly glad it is finally a possibility :D

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. ProtoSauce
    ProtoSauce Member
    This looks great! I love seeing people's wireframe meshes. What software are you using to model?

8. CS1_
    CS1_ Member
    Thanks, Glad you like it. Yeah I love seeing the meshes too :D
    I use Maya for modeling things like this. I use Zbrush for most of the more organic freeform projects.

9. 3D3e
    3D3e Member
    Beautiful!

How do you submit two objects to be made in porcelain, as your cup (cup and dish)? I tried that and did not go through... are the files submitted separately (in which case somebody may have to order the pieces separately)?

I suppose the questions also extend for designs that are supposed to be 'sets'.

Thanks in advance!

10. Hi,
    I really liked your idea of making the cup sit in the saucer.
    I am working on something in porcelain myself and needed some help.
    Can you tell me what is the thickness of the details in the saucer?
    Also did you keep any clearance between the gear in the cup and the negative of that in the saucer as the thickness of the glaze does add to something.
    also would you say there was any shrinkage in your parts?

Regards,
    Khushboo