Food safe materials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 40914_deleted, Jun 13, 2010.

1. 40914_deleted
    40914_deleted Member
    Hi all,

I've been thinking about mugs or cutlery for a few weeks now and I was wondering if Shapeways was thinking about offering any food safe material soon.

Thanks.

P.S. Anyway if you guys ever offer wax, we can always make moulds.

2. joris
    joris Member
    Yes, we have been looking at these materials for quite a while. But, the real issue at stake is not really a material but the process. In order to, for example, offer food safe materials we have to certify the entire process. So we have to certify the machines, the production location, what the guys wear etc. We are exploring this at the moment.

Joris

3. giasas
    giasas Member
    Dear Joris,
    Hello from Cyprus

I m interested for food safe materials, specialy to order and create mold's.

If you still dont have certify the machines and the rest, which material do you think is very close to certified for this purposes?

I look something like silicon because it is flexible and heat resistant.

For testing reasons i dont care so much about the typical certifications.
    But the health safety is the top for me.

Regards

Angelos

4. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Hey Angelos,

I sent you an email from the 3D Modelers Needed forum, but I think that maybe we can find something to suit your needs.

My assumption for a preferable mold material (as food safe as possible) would be the Stainless Steel (really expensive) or the Grey Robust (would not make a very smooth mold without post production)

However, for testing purposes we could design the core of the mold, then create a silicone mold from that. I also have contacts who can take the core and mass product the silicone molds when you are ready to go to market.

Jake
    http://JakeDrews.Com

5. 23255_deleted
    23255_deleted Member
    Anything new about food safe meterials? Or have I missed something?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You have missed something! Shapeways now has food safe Ceramic.

7. 23255_deleted
    23255_deleted Member
    Oh yeah! Thanks a lot!

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Not anymore...

9. 23255_deleted
    23255_deleted Member
    Not? Have you taken a look at the available materials list, recently? There is a material called ceramic which is glazed with a food safe glaze.

10. Youknowwho4eva
    SeveQ,

It was in a trial period, that ended this morning. Hopefully it will be back full time soon, as I haven't got to try it out yet :p

11. 23255_deleted
    23255_deleted Member
    Ah, alright, got it. A pity there are no other food safe materials (flexible ones) as I have some ideas I'd like to make real, some little kitchen helpers.

12. 99200_deleted
    99200_deleted Member
    OH MAN! I so wish there was a food safe material, I have been thinking up so many designs for flasks. I am just curious if the stainless steal would be safe to use?

Is there anything I could do to the material to make it food-safe?

I also wanted to make cookie cutters-A workable Sherlock Homes pipe-Goblets-A fancy spoon collection.

When do you think they will commit to a material for these uses. In the mean time are there any other 3D printing sights that offer food-safe materials?

13. Youknowwho4eva
    Ceramics will be back, hopefully soon. As far as a food safe metal, shapeways for liability reasons can't say they are food safe. Stainless, I would just clean thoroughly. Silver, I would say is good after a cleaning. It's cast silver, Which I've heard silver is actually good for you.

14. Wizzard419
    Wizzard419 Member
    As something to eat with there are questionable benefits, but it is apparently anti-microbial. They are even adding it to underwear designed for long term wear (military).

One thought, that might make it food safe but not dishwasher safe, would be to have your printed items plated in food-safe metals to form a barrier.