At Last: Easy Product Embed

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by SavIsSavvy, Jan 28, 2015.

1. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Very excited to share this new feature with you all. After years of hassling with a product and shop embed experience, we've improved the widget and are excited to bring you easy embed tools across the site.

On each of your Product Pages, you'll now find the </> symbol next to social share:

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 11.44.48 AM.png

After copying the code and setting the size to your preference, you can embed your products on your own website, other places you shop, in forums and on social media platforms. Clicking through an embed leads interested customers right to your product page.

Code:
    <iframe width="625" height="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allowtransparency src="//www.shapeways.com/fragments/product?spin=8SHJR7HSC"></iframe>

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 11.48.18 AM.png

where will you embed your products first?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Will this show on Twitter normal share button ? Wondering.

3. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    @Numarul7: this won't affect the currently twitter social share at all, but we're open to ideas to improve that as well!

4. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I would love to use this! But I need it to open the product page in a new window (operationally a new tab) rather than replace the current page.

It's common practice to have external links do this, and I hope you can see why I would want that. The problem is aggravated by alt-left-arrow, which is how I'd normally back up, not working after the embed link has been clicked (I see this in vanilla winfox). But even if that were fixed I still need this change before I can splash embeds all over my site. As an option is fine.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You could try adding this to your webpage:
    <base target="_blank">

6. Bathsheba
    ? Then I'd have to alter all of the internal links on it. I don't think so.

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Ooh good catch Bathsheba. I'll report and see if it is something we can change so it does open in a new window.

Best,
    Natalia

8. Hey Bathsheba-- we just added an optional url parameter to make the embed open in a new window. You can add "&external=1" to the end of the url in the iframe tag, such as:

Code:
    <iframe width="625" height="652" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allowtransparency src="//www.shapeways.com/fragments/product?spin=2DLY5MHFN&external=1"></iframe>
    Separately, I have noted the Firefox bug and we will look into it!

9. Bathsheba
    Nice! I see that working and will use it. Thanks!

Care to offer any guidance on minimum width and height? 625 x 652 is quite large for something that's not actually the main content of a page.
    Looks like I can take the width down to 325 OK -- my site is trying to be responsive down to 320px -- but below about 425 height it sprouts a scrollbar which is not ideal.

Thanks again, it is really good to see this updated.

10. The product widget itself is on a responsive grid, but we haven't optimized it to be completely fluid yet so it looks a bit off at some sizes. The best sizes we have found are: 625x652
    400x468
    300x372
    200x305

My advice would be to either use a small size and treat it as a fixed-width element, if you wanted to use a larger size, you can call a smaller embed based on a particular breakpoint in your design.

Glad you like it! We can add new information to it pretty quickly now, so if there are additional things you would like to include please do let us know!

11. Trinithingi
    Trinithingi Member
    I'm using the shop embed rather than the product embed and trying to get it to open in a new page. I tried adding &external=1 but it is not working for me. I've figured that I can build a slideshow of my product images and link back to my shop but would rather use the embed. Please help!