Goatse Belt Buckle

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 34840_deleted, Apr 27, 2010.

1. 34840_deleted
    34840_deleted Member
    I'm amazed! This is the first thing I've sent to you guys to get printed and it definitely wont be the last :D
    The pin is perfectly sized and the bridge of plastic on the back (that holds it to the belt) has printed perfectly too

[​IMG]

The next step is to prepare this for metal casting! Thanks Shapeways!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Looks good, would it be cheaper to print in stainless than casting it? Either way, share your pics and experiences. Are you planning on casting it yourself or are you sending it off to be cast?

3. 34840_deleted
    34840_deleted Member
    in no way is it cheaper to get it printed in steel! It comes out near enough $120 whereas i have RTV silicone and pewter laying about from previous projects :p
    I'll have a go at casting it myself first, I've done some simple casts before so this is just more practice :) If that fails then yeah, it'll probably get sent off to be cast properly (or at least have someone else make the molds for me)

4. chris89
    chris89 Member
    nice subject :p

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Please include a post here when you do cast it. I would love to see the process and results.

6. 34840_deleted
    34840_deleted Member
    Well heres the final piece (well the first one I've cast, theres a bit more refinement needed on the mold)
    [​IMG]

The original piece was hollow to save money on printing costs, but when cast I thought it might be too weak to hold a belt in place so I filled in the holes with a plastacine-type-thing I had laying about. The belt loop on the back had to be snipped off as well, it wasnt castable as it is in the design. After snipping that off and creating two new loop holders out of clay I started the mold making..

I made a silicone mold using a rubber called RTV101, but first coating the piece in many layers of spray-primer. I think there are threads on here about that, so check them for more information
    Once the mold was cured I had to add some air-holes and scrape out all of the plastacine that hadnt released itself from the rubber (the mold release stuff didnt seem to work here..).
    After a few failed casts I managed to get one that worked :D I polished that with a dremel polishing thing and sanded it to give it a more roughened look (it looked too blingy when shiny). I drilled some holes in the belt loop on the back and added a piece of bent wire to hold it in place.

Its a little heavy but works perfectly, I may try to cast a hollow one and see how it holds up.

Next step: tidying the back of the buckle up and listing them on Etsy. Then hopefully I can start making Tubgirl and 2Girl1Cup ones...

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Looks like it came out great. Is it me or is it upside down? I don't know if I want to see a 2girl1cup either :eek:

8. 34840_deleted
    34840_deleted Member
    oh dont worry, it'll be tasteful :p I have a shirt that I designed a while ago that could be made into one

[​IMG]

Anyway.

The metal buckle is the right way up, I was holding the plastic one the wrong way round :p I forgot to add the Ring on his index finger too..

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Ah I see, very nice. A play off of a certain coffee company.

I was saying it appeared upside down, because it it were the person wearing the belt the thumbs would be up, for them to be oriented that way the person holding the ring would be upside down and behind you.

10. 4m3D
    4m3D Member
    Thanks for sharing the casting process! Good luck with the esty thing. I'll be keeping an eye out for it!

Todd
    www.4m3D.com

11. joris
    joris Member
    The T-shirt, the T-shirt. It is perhaps too funny. I just spit coffee everywhere.

12. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Nice buckle ! :p

But I have to agree, it looks a bit upside down ?

As for the "two girls one cup"...
    If you don't know what it is, keep it that way !
    I didn't...
    So I googled it...
    Wish I didn't..
    Bit queasy now... :cool:

13. chris89
    chris89 Member
    i vote for tubgirl, that one didn't get enough attention!