New Marble Pendants

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Magic, Mar 27, 2010.

What Marble Pendant do you prefer?

1. Design 2 (v2)

2. Design 3 (v3)

3. Design 4

4. Design 5

5. Design 6

6. Design 7

7. Design 8

8. Design 9

9. Design 10

10. Design 11

11. Design 12

12. Design 13

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

I would like to do new marble pendants for 16 mm standard marbles, but this time in Stainless Steel and with a wire diameter of 1mm (if possible).
    You already know v2 and v3 but I designed some slightly different pendants:
    MP12b.jpg
    and I would like to have your opinion: which design would be your favorite one?
    I am unsure that the clearance or the flexibility are OK, but as I cannot try them all, I would like you to give me hand to select the best ones.
    Thank you for your help!
    (use the poll to give your answer, and do not hesitate to answer this message to give me your comments).

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    To give you an idea of the metal look here is the v2 (with 2mm wires though):
    MarblePendantComplete.JPG
    (well I realize that a side view would have been better, but that's the only picture I have apart the ones in this message)

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks to those who already answered the poll.
    But with nearly 100 views, I got only 8 answers (including mine :)).
    I am sure you can do better!
    Please, help me to choose the best designs of marble pendants!
    Thank you again for your help!

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thank you for your participation (it is a kind of participative design, isn't it :)).
    I kept the ones with more than one vote.
    And the winners are:
    Player4winnersTxt1.jpg
    As you can see, I gave them some names based on their shapes.
    I still have to order them to check if 1mm is OK with printing and with flexibility and also to check the clearance with standard marbles, but they are already available here:
    - Upsilon
    - Omicron
    - Theta
    - Phi

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    OK, I got my answer. The marble pendants are not printable in Stainless Steel with 1mm of diameter. Too fragile.
    The "funny" thing is that they are not printable either in 2mm (forgot the picture, I offered this pendant anyway, so there is no more evidence of its existence).

3mm is the minimum for this design, and this leads (more or less) to that...
    MP3mm.jpg
    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
    OK, perhaps it would be better if I wait for the technology to evolve...

6. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    I thought pieces smaller than 5*5*5 were allowed a thickness of 1mm in stainless steel, is everything now just 3mm across the board? I've got a series of pieces aimed at that thickness due to go up, whats the deal with stainless steel now?

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    In this particular case, for the 1mm diameter, I guess that these designs suffered from the "spaghetti syndrom": they could not support their own weight in "green" state.
    But once again, it worked once with a diameter 2mm and it is not allowed anymore.

So what we need is having as consistent as possible rules.

What is sure is that the fact that an object is less than 5x5x5cm does not guarantee that 1 or even 2mm wall thickness will work.