Option for not printing untill all models are checked

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by NikkruGadgets, Jul 27, 2014.

1. NikkruGadgets
    NikkruGadgets Well-Known Member
    Hi.

I'd have another suggestion. I know that bundling shipping is being worked on, but untill this is implimented, I'd like to suggest a similar option to "print it anyway" being something like "cancel" all if one fails".

I like to order many items at once because shipping is rather expensive, often it's higher than the price of the model itself. So if one model out of the order cannot be printed, shipping has to be paid again to repair and reprint that model. With the suggested option, none of the models would go to the printers untill every one in the order has been manually checked.
    I am aware, that the models could pass the manual checks and still break during printing or have a too high failure rate, but it would minimize the risk of having several models already in the printer and then getting a message that one of them has to be fixed and can't be printed. Not printing before all the checks would allow to cancel the order and reorder everything with the fixed model instead of having to pay for additional shipping.

Especially for a plastic prototype of a ring that costs 2€ to print for example, it is quite frustrating if it fails to print in a bundle with other orders and additional 8-10€ would have to be paid for shipping.

Best regards,
    Nik

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Great idea.

Then I can order all the models I want to be sure was "manual checked" with a special "sure it gonna be rejected" model.

When this "one fake model" was rejected, then I'll have all the models free checked, and I could cancel the whole order.

3. NikkruGadgets
    NikkruGadgets Well-Known Member
    Ah yes, that would be exploitable, I didn't think of that...

Then instead of cancled perhaps suspended for one day, so one would have the chance to fix the one with the issue. Basically a time to edit the model with the issue, either enabling "print it anyways" or replacing it with a revision. And after that day passes without any actions from the user. the working models will be printed.

Edit: Actually suspending for a day instead of canceling the model would be great for when a customer buys a design, and it can't be printed all of a sudden, even though it has been successfully printed several times already. Instead of cancling that item instantly, giving the designer a day to fix it instead would be great.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. HOLDEN8702
    Really Shapeways may allow the designer at least one day to fix the rejected model (never mind if it's for him or if it's a sold model) and if there's a change in the price, allows the possibility of paying the difference or substract it from the markups if it's a sold model.

Many designers in many threads were talking about that before. I haven't ever read a reply from shapeways.

After a rejection, shapeways is in a hurry to cancel the model, but to check the new models they haven't so much rush. I have a model for a friend in "ready for production" a week ago, and now it isn't the Christmas "too much orders in the stove" time!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Well, the obvious drawback for shapeways would be that this would create another queue of models needing to be checked - and the expectation of the designer would probably be that these get priority over any new orders. If the cost of the model changes due to changes in volume, they would probably have to add another grace period to the 24 hour re-upload time for the payment to go through. During that period, such "models in limbo" would just stand in everyone's way.

If by "ready for production" you mean "processing finished", then it has already been checked and is waiting for a printer to become available - could be high number of orders in that particular material and/or fewer printers available for it due to maintenance. The material status page was last updated five weeks ago, but back then it notified of some late orders in FUD and a persisting backlog with ceramics.

6. HOLDEN8702
    Not really.

This is what I mean

ready for rejection.jpg

From the sunday 17th to the sunday 24th I think somebody could take a minute to watch the file, isn't it? I only hope that tomorrow I don't wake up with the rejection kind message of this model.

And this isn't related to this thread, but Mr. Mkroeker, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your advice on Meshmixer software. That's a very valuable tool to hollow my Sculptris made figures. I tried yesterday and I'm very impressed with the results! THANKS AGAIN, MASTER!

Warm regards

Luis

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Ah well, I have no experience with what must be the shopowner's overview spreadsheet. Naming appears to be a bit different there from what the "Orders" overview uses - I take it that in your experience "ready for production" is the first step visible after an order has been placed ? (If that spreadsheet contains the order number, you might want to inquire directly from service what happened to that one - it would appear to have hit the 6 business days estimate on friday unless the model is over 70x70x70mm which would give them four more business days leeway)

(About the meshmixer recommendation I believe credit is due to somebody else - possibly numarul7 or UniverseBecoming, even if I may have passed on such recommendation after picking it up in another thread)

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    There is a logistical problem with "holding" the order. Sure, if all your items are in the same material.. no problem. But.. if you order one item in FUD and another item in Raw Silver, you are talking about two different production teams that could easily be half a world away from each other, and they operate at different paces. The problem is worsened when it's a sub-contractor. Getting them to "pause" on a piece of an order or getting them to communicate with another contractor is the trick that must be worked out.

It's a recognized request, but there's a lot of moving parts to make it all happen.

9. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member

I actually suggested this to service/support through email about cancelling my order because most of my items cannot be printed in sandstone (only one passed because I wanted to print in white strong flexible). I guess you are right if the materials are in different places it would be trickier to work this out. I suggested having a few days of "grace period" to work out or cancel the order instead of going straight to production if say, 4/5 of the items failed due to error. In my case I also want to bundle up as much as I can each time because shipping is $11.50 to Canada. I don't want to be paying so much shipping for a tiny 3d printed object. :)

I'm sure Shapeways will be able to sort this out!

10. Hi guys, forgive me if i haven't read the whole thread or others... I think this is the place rather than a new thread to suggest something if it hasnt been suggested.

I want to suggest that there is a a box option you can tick if you want your model "Print it anyway" before you complete your order.

This will save me and shapeways so much time and money. The first time i did a group of files i had some cancelled files and i Printed anyway and contacted shapeways and it was all good- it all came together and i was refunded the postage. I just did my second lot of orders and one of the items was cancelled so i went to Print it anyway but i didn't contact shapeways this time just to see what would happen. Well all my items got printed on pretty much the same day despite me only clocking on to the cancelled item i needed to Print anyway a few days after the initial order. And they all got posted the same day except in different boxes. The same UPS driver delivered them on the same day except he didn't realise he had two boxes for me so he came back to deliver the second a few hours later. None of this is economical.

I'm testing items and i need them printed anyway even though i know they are flagging, to keep the ball rolling on projects, but i have to watch my emails and wait for them them to be cancelled and them go through the whole process of contacting shapeways to get the refund and perhaps this delays my initial order...

A Print it anyway option before you place your order please.

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I'm confused by your request... When you Edit your Cart, the PIA option is available on the items you've selected from your own shop.
    PIA is not an option on items you buy from other shopowners, but it should always be an option on your own items... before you click CheckOutNow.
    Or, are you skipping the step to review your purchases?
    Image1.jpg

12. Stoneysmith,

Okay. I did not notice that. Problem solved. Thank you very much!