2D to 3D from .jpg.....dimensions adjustment

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by chrisingrassia85, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Hi everyone -

First off, thanks for taking the time just to look at this question. I am completely new to 3D printing, have never done this before. I'm trying to do something very simple: take a 2D .jpeg file and convert it into a 3D car emblem. I was able to use the easy app creator and I have the size totally maxed out, but would like to make it bigger. Basically, I'd like to make the emblem 5" long by 2" depth. The most I can seem to get out of the polished nickel is 4.6" long by 1.1" deep. I attached what I'm trying to create.

Are the 2D-to-3D dimensions fixed, and can't be increased past a certain point? I went through the FAQ section for polished nickel and a 5"x2" final dimension should fit fine into the bound box. I just can't figure out how to get the dimensions I'm wanting.

Would love some advice/tips on how to make that happen. Thanks a ton!

Chris

Attached Files:

2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Chris in what metal you want to be made ? Steel and polish it later ? One problem it is that the free letter must be glued to others if you want in other metal ... and only one that can handle that size it is Steel.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. Thanks a lot for responding. I actually ordered two of these already, one in black plastic and the other in polished nickel steel. I didn't realize the dimension sizes until just this morning. Not a huge deal, I'll just wait until I get the ones I already ordered and then see if I can make adjustments afterwards if I don't like the size.

I'm pretty sure the "T" and "URBO" will be separate pieces. At least they should be, my order said "2 pieces".

4. numarul7
    Check your private message (top right button) and tell me if that version I have sent , fits the measures.

5. Hi everyone -

So I'm getting ready to finish this up, and just need one final change to this STL file.

I want the final dimensions to be 127mm (east-west) x 50.8mm (north-south)x 4mm (floor-ceiling). Numa was kind enough to provide me this STL file I attached below, but the north-south isn't right. Numa has been very gracious with his time, but he's just too busy to help this last little bit.

Would someone with access to .STL editing software be able to edit this STL file so the dimensions are as posted above? You can PM me the file or just post it here.

I would really appreciate it. I tried SketchUp, Embossify, and Photoshop and still can't do it myself.

Attached Files:

6. numarul7
    Hey I`ll remake you 2 version and you can order them first in WSF and one bumped up.

Problem it is that with that "logo" the proportions are different from your size you want to be aka the NORTH-SOUTH will not be exactly 50mm will be like 4 or so from the longest letter point.

I`ll pm a redesigned logo with a bump on letters to be on the limit but still you must order prototypes in WSF. And take in account that the process it is tedious.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. I don't want to put you out, I know you said you're busy. I appreciate all the time you've put into this, I definitely don't want you to feel like I don't appreciate it.

These are actually for a car club I'm in, and I have numerous people who are already interested in buying it as well. So if what you make is awesome, several more orders will come in as well.

Can you explain why the north/south measurements can't work? Are you saying that if the emblem is 50.8mm (north/south), then the individual letters will be too thin? Is that how I understand it?

8. numarul7
    Check private message!

At 5.0 they land at 1.8/2 mm limit and the logo stretches. Aka it must be more than 127 long for 3 mm overall with original design relative identical.

9. numarul7
    You have the model in private. With the logo with dimension 127mm x 50.8 mm x 4.mm

Please install yourself http://www.netfabb.com/downloadcenter.php?basic=1 to check any model you need to print for measures and stuff. Software it is based on real measures and it is used in all industry for checking 3D printed models from engines to logo to jewelry etc