Miniatures Category now has SCALES! WOO HOO

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by 7943_deleted, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

GUESS WHAT?!

We finally gave model trains their own scale categories!

Check it out, and let us know if there's any we missed!

Happy Monday,
    Natalia

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 5.34.12 PM.png

Stony, this one's for you ;-)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    TT 1/120 and N british 1/148 are missed. 0 scale too (I can't remember if it's 1/48 or something else).

Hey, I have armored trains in 1/72 and 1/50 (but could be considered as vehicles,.... or not?).

Maybe 1/144 could be exchanged with N british 1/148 .

Masterofmilitary have also trains in 1/285 scale.

regards

Luis

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Good news! But you might want to move them from "Scale Models" to the "Model Trains" category!

And while you're at it, you missed out on O-guage (1:48 USA, 1:43 UK), S-Guage (1:64), and G-Guage (anywhere from 1:20 to 1:29.5, depending on maker...).

By the way, does this mean we could look forward to getting "Military Models" under Miniatures? With scale subdivisions, like 1:35, 1:32, 1:48, 1:72, 1:76, 1:87?

4. PrettySmallThings
    PrettySmallThings Active Member
    I love the addition of a scale models category - but why do you say it's just for trains? Especially if it's not under the train heading?

If the intention is for all types of scale models to be added (buildings, furniture, trains, boats...) why not use proportions like 1:87, rather than HO? It's more inclusive of a broader range of hobbies.

If the intention is to embrace a wide variety of genres, I would add 1:48, 1:24, 1:12, 1:6. 1:36/1:35 is less popular but I have had requests in this scale also.

5. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Awesome!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, let me pass this onto the page-team so they can adjust!

Cheers
    Natalia

6. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    There is a whole pile of other scales

7/8 ( 1:13.7)
    16mm (1:19)
    F (1:20.3)
    G (1:24)
    1 (1:30)
    1:32/1:35
    5.5 mm (1:55)
    S (1:64)

And just to confuse you I make most of my models in the narrow gauges which have names like

HOn30,Sn2,On16.5,O9,009

Tom

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    'OO' (1:76) & 'British TT' (aka TT3 - 1:101.6) scales too

Paul

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    My suggestion was to leave off the "N3" designation.
    A HOn3 is still HO "scale", (1:87.1) but it runs on different track.

Let's not make people's heads implode <GRIN>

Just so everyone knows.. my long term evil plan <grin> is asking for a database field that specifies "Scale"
    The enhancement noted above is a simple "hack" of the Search facility where it looks for specific TAGS.

My intent is that the "Scale" field could be used in multiple ways.
    We Model Train folks can use it for the ratio to the prototype.
    Miniature makers could also specify the ratio to the prototype.
    Ring designers could use it for the ring size.
    Dice folks could specify the number of faces

This is a good first step. I'm assuming that more "steps" will follow.

9. wedge
    wedge Member
    I love the Idea to have Scale Categories.

what about the tabletop game Scales
    28mm
    15mm
    6 mm
    I am not sure is it use full do add them there, or put them in a own tabletop game Categories

10. HOLDEN8702
    Hi.

Almost all my work is in a precise scale.

The initially good idea of scale categories, focused on an easy search tool for customers, I think is falling down as we have too much working scales, and this could really fool the costumers, that can't choose between too much options.

I think is better to add the scale to the title (as I do) or as a tag to could find it in the searcher, and let the "scale" categories only for the usual scales of trains: HO, N, and Z (oh, no, I have some work in another scales too!)

Regards

Luis

11. If you made some subcategories for Military Models there should be 1/200, 1/220 (Z-Scale), 1/285 and 1/300 Scales too, because the 6mm Scale could be 1/285 or 1/300 and it´s a big difference for our customers

Stephan from MoM

12. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Stony, you say 'simple "hack" ', I say 'inelegant "bodge" '. Your idea is an excellent one - a scale field in combination with the Category, say, would allow for some elegant solutions across the board. Of course, the search functions would need to be up to the more granular database...

13. aimeemoyer
    aimeemoyer Shapeways Employee Ecommerce Team
    Hi All!

I took the lead on making this page possible - sorry for not chiming in earlier! One thing to note: this page is NOT just for model trains. We accept all models of all scales :)

There are a few things to point out around creating this page the way it is now. One main reason is that it is very difficult for us to create a new category in our database. So, the best next step is creating pages that help filter tags! We know that model trains, vehicles, and scale models are some of our most popular products on the site, so this page was set us as an experiment to see if and how much content can be filtered and more easily found, while also containing a lot of products to sift through.

They key to take away from this is that you should tag your products with the scale if you'd like for it to be searchable! Where there may not be a tag specifically called out on this new page, that most certainly does not mean it exists. By making sure your product is tagged, others can follow suit, and the hope is that it all grows organically.

I definitely hear all of the calls for more scales, so let's see how this page works now. As we see people using tags and find that some scales become more popular, I will happily add more options or change as it makes sense. Keep sending suggestions and thoughts, though! You are all the experts in this realm, and I'll do all I can to help organize your products in the most effective way.

Thanks so much!

Aimee

14. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Hi Aimee,

I hear ya on the difficulty of restructuring an existing complex database!

One thing though is that we now have overlapping Categories, to cause confusion for the would-be buyer. Is a model tank to be found under Vehicles or Scale Models? And a desk, designed as HO-scale railroad scenery, could be Furniture, Model Trains, or Scale Models! And only Scale Models allows for separate scales. Perhaps putting more effort into designing an effective advanced multi-word search form might be a higher priority than adding Categories? After all, if all we're doing is mining for keywords...

By the way, all this is moot for the average buyer, because when they click on the Miniatures drop-down menu most of it is hidden behind that damned video box for the featured artist at the top of the Shop page! A simple FUBAR that ought to have been sorted out by now.

15. PrettySmallThings
    PrettySmallThings Active Member
    The problem with tags is that without a standard, how do we know what tag you will officially pick up?

0 Scale (trains)
    O Scale (trains)
    1:48 (neutral)
    1/48 (neutral)
    Quarter Scale (dollhouse)
    1/4" = 1'-0" (architecture)
    Lego also approx fits in this scale
    all these are about the same, and I'm sure I've missed some other terms

I use 1:48 in the titles of my postings, even though it has required some education of my customers who are more accustomed to other terms.

And I would reiterate that if "scale models" is intended to be for more than trains, you might want to embrace either neutral key words such as numerical proportions, or at least embrace some scales that represent other hobbies so it is not just train scales listed. Or possibly the best solution, move the scales to the trains page, and add different, more appropriate scale keywords under furniture, vehicles, etc.

16. HOLDEN8702
    In the tags options you can add all you consider.

1-48, 1/48, 1:48, lego, 28 mm, ...

but even with the model search tool, if you have tagged 1-48 and search for 1/48, your model appears too.

17. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    That's good news!

Maybe some addition scales may work.
    N scale can be both 1/160 and 1/148 (and for Japanese 1/150) for example.
    Is it possible to have some default tags (for scales and other often used tags)? This may simplify adding tags, which is quite some work since you have to type all tags letter by letter.

Maurice
    RAILNSCALE (guess what scale we use)

18. Lenni248
    Lenni248 Member
    So how do I add my models to that new category?
    It doesn't appear in the selection, or do I have to tag them just 1/87 or something?

19. aimeemoyer
    Hi There:

Yes! Make sure that your models are tagged as the correct scale. 1/87, however, is not a "featured" tag yet. I am working with a team here to improve this page and improve the miniatures section overall... stay tuned for more updates!

If you have a full shop and want to be featured, please feel free to direct message me!

20. aimeemoyer