Rotating Wheels

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Richy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Richy
    Richy Member
    Has anyone printed a rotating wheel on an axle that didn't require assembly after it was printed?

I'm Working on a toy-car-sized Rock Crawler Buggy that I hope will print in one piece with rotating wheels and compressible springs! I have 1mm clearances between the rims and the axles, but I'm still a little worried about how it will come out.

Crawler4.png
    Crawler1.png
    Crawler2.png
    Crawler3.png

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

The rotatory axes works in my 1/72 and 1/50 armored wagons.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzervstanks?section=Armore d+Trains+1%2F72&s=0

This 1/56 model also has a rotatory system, and also a steering system for both axis. Unfortunately, the costumer doesn't write to tell me about it yet.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1644778/1-56-fiat-spa-autopr otetto-s37.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

TIRES v1 003.jpg

Also, even this 1/148 tiny flakvierling rotates its guns printed in one only part.

model 1-148 foto 002.jpg

If you have let enough clearance space between parts, It has to work (after cleaning, of course). I usually let 0,4 -0,5 mm. in clearance, then 1mm. is more than enough.

Good luck with your awesome buggy!

Luis

3. Richy
    Richy Member
    Thanks for the input. Your parts look great. I'm very impressed with the steering mechanisms; that is really cool.

But now that you mentioned that your wheels have half the clearance as mine, it makes me wonder if the wheels will be too loose on the buggy...

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    All four axles on this model rotate...
    The center two axles are also on swing arms such that they can raise & lower.
    For FUD.. keep it a 0.05mm gap, and you can do wondrous things.
    [​IMG]

5. Richy
    Richy Member
    Will FUD be flexible enough for springs?

6. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    I haven't direct experiences with FUD, I'm WSFadict, but my french costumers of Z scale trains have broken wagons only cleaning it or trying to make it a hole... I don't bet on it for flexible springs.

But WSF is enough flexible to do this:

9pth.jpg

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member