Wire thickness/ Making the object from "hollow" to "solid"?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Lolzydude1, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Lolzydude1
    Lolzydude1 Member
    Hey there guys/girls I'm pretty new to Shapeways and 3D modelling in general, everything was running smoothly till the point where I actually wanted to print my 3D model, the issue I'm having is that the wire thickness of the model is too thin, I'm currently using 3DS Max but open to trying other software to fix the issue, I've tried using the Shell modifier in Max and the solidify modifier in Blender, my question is: is it possible to "fill" the 3d model to make the hollow areas within the model solid, so there isn't any issues with the model faces being too thin, or the wireframe? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg

a.jpg

File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg

b.jpg

File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg

c.jpg

File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
    • d.jpg

d.jpg

File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg

e.jpg

File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    If the problem is limited to the hollow gun barrels, closing the ends should be sufficient to make shapeways' software treat them as solid.

3. Lolzydude1
    Lolzydude1 Member
    Hi I've fixed the shotgun the image is slightly outdated, before uploading it I had deleted some of it's faces by accident, but The ealls are apparently still too thin on the whole model (except for the base). or at least I'm still getting the "View Thin walls" error message when uploading, cheers.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The wall thickness check can generate false positives where there are small surface details, best get netfabb studio basic from netfabb.com to measure the model yourself. And again if you close all openings the model should be treated as solid by shapeways, no matter how many internal walls it has. (Could be a bit expensive then, depending on the overall size of that figurine)

5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I think the problem may be that the barrel and torch are just too thin for FCS ...