No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files.

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by wedge, Nov 25, 2013.

1. wedge
    wedge Member
    If I try to upload an X3D file or a file with the file Extension VRML there is no Unit selector before the Upload and he Takes inches as default.
    Especially for X3D files it is very annoying always convert them to wrl before uploading.

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    x3d files have the units specified within them, I believe. Check your program to make sure it is not exporting in inches.
    I think x3d assumes meters for units.

Also sometimes SW makes a conversion if it thinks the object is too small. Check your model upload history to see if there are any messages from the upload. Something like this (also from an x3d upload):

v0: red and blue test cube (material colour).x3d - Uploaded on 25 Jul 2013 [Success] (rescaled during upload to current size)

It was 3.74 Blender Units long, which normally I would set to mm on upload. I think SW says "that's too big, he must have meant inches" and hence the model becomes 3.74 inches long.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. wedge
    wedge Member
    As fare as I know x3d has no Units. Or noboddy use them.
    There was no size definition in the the x3d-Source (Blender export).

I know. But wen I Upload the Same file convertet to wrl everything is OK.

edit:
    Mayby but noboddy Cares ... ;).
    Serious meter would be ok, but Shapways uploads the file in Inches.

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    If you know what the problem is already why don't you just fix it?

If you set the scale in Blender it will work ok and if you scale your models down it will also work...

5. wedge
    wedge Member
    Because I thing it is a Bug that there is no Unit selector, and soman can sometime fix it .

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Also it would be nice to be able to change units after uploading, it would require less resources. Or in general, any scaling not just unit change. It helps with issues like assuming what the real size is, or with formats in which you lose precission because the units are not the best for the purpose of 3D printing (classics are wrl or sketchup targeting big dimensions).

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    You're right - this is confusing. I'll add the following two suggestions to our community tracker:

- add unit size selector for X3D and VRML uploads
    - allow user to change unit size after uploading

8. wedge
    wedge Member