Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mimekunst, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mimekunst
    mimekunst Active Member
    You have a detailed model. How do you find out the minimum size of the model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material?

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It depends a good bit on the model itself.

For all of this, you need to know the size of the detail. What is the smallest dimension across the detail?

If the details you speak of are just surface features, then you need to focus on the guidelines for Embossed/Engraved details. If the details you are trying for are generally flat panels, then use the "Minimum Wall Thickness". If the details things such as fingers, spikes, wires, etc, then use the "Minimum Wire Free"

Your model then needs to be designed to consider those minimums.

When designing things for model trains, I need to ensure that the overall size is proper for the scale. That usually means that I have to allow walls, railings, etc. to be fatter than they are in the real world, but I do try to get the overall width/height/length correct.

On the other hand, if you have a pre-designed model, then you need to take the smallest measurement and upscale the model to fit the minimums above.

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thanks for providing such a detailed (heh) answer, Stony!

Bart