Aircraft category in MIniatures?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by NickHawkins, Aug 25, 2013.

1. NickHawkins
    NickHawkins Active Member
    Can we have an 'aircraft' sub-category of miniatures please? It seems a bit odd to describe them as 'vehicles' even if it is technically correct.

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    That makes a lot of sense. I'll champion the idea for you!

Bart

3. NickHawkins
    NickHawkins Active Member
    Thanks Bart.

Nick H.

4. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Along similar lines...

Does anyone verify the categories, or have the power to change them? I've noticed a LOT of stuff in the model trains category that has nothing to do with trains... and I don't mean , for example, trucks, which are useful items for developing a scene... I'm talking robot parts, and other such things.

If you folks don't have the time to do it, perhaps you could recruit a couple of shop owners familiar with each category and give them very limited powers to at least bring things to your attention for review.

5. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    Because there is few categories and trains is only closer choice. For example, some 1/48 or 1/35 real tank model with many small parts is not belong to Board games and not a figurine or just toy.

I have also category suggestions:

1) LEGO. It's not easy to find it using keywords. Is it keyworded LEGO or minifigs or something else like "5mm" diameter or "6mm diameter" (I'm not sure)
    2) If aircraft will separated from vehicle, then let's do it to naval ships too

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. PrettySmallThings
    PrettySmallThings Active Member
    It would actually be nice if your miniatures sub-categories allowed for the breadth of hobbies and industries working in scale. I think it's so strange that scale furniture is under the umbrella of "furniture" in the "home" category. It's actually only recently I found it myself - no miniature customer will ever look there.

Most people are much less concerned with what the object is, but what scale it's in. Someone who is working with trains, might also be interested in planes, furniture, people, objects, buildings, etc, as long they are in the right scale. I know its been suggested before. And I can't imagine how you would implement it now - but your mini category would be so much more inclusive, forward looking, and easier to navigate for the average customer, if it was scale based, not subject based.

(And yes, I agree. Robot parts, earrings, and dice are not miniatures. They are just small.)

7. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    I like the idea of grouping by scale.... though there are some things where a "range" of scales is more appropriate, and others where it's not really close enough to be the same. For example:

1/72 & 1/87 are not close enough to fit in the same category. They need to be separate.

1/144 should be a separate category, but 1/148, 1/150, and 1/160 are all regarded as "N Gauge" (They all run on the same 9mm gauge track, even though the scales are different), and could be grouped together. Likewise, I'd expect to find 1/285 and 1/300 (common wargaming scales, often used interchangeably) together.

If someone wanted to put a single model in two categories, they could, just as they can now. For some things it wouldn't be appropriate, others... like trees, haystacks, and some machinery, could pass in a couple of scales.