SketchUp uploading and missing texture... what?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by TrainThingz, Aug 21, 2013.

1. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    OK, I've figured out Sketchup (I thought!), designed my first simple project, and uploaded it to Shapeways... and now it's making me crazy.

I'm getting an error "Texture file not found: plateK.jpg", and it's telling me I need to upload it... but HOW? The uploader won't let me select both files. Even more aggravating... there's not any texture on the model! Now, I USED a texture as reference when I made it, but I've been over every face of the thing now, and it's not there any more. I selected the entire thing and painted it, clearing the faces, too.

So... I'm getting an error for not uploading something that isn't there, and even though I would be willing to upload the texture, there's no apparent way to DO it, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the Shapeways documentation!

It's got me pulling my hair out... and I can't afford to lose any more of it! That's the only error message I'm getting (so far) so I'm hoping that I have an otherwise good model...

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
  3. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    OK, so it wants the files zipped... Does that still hold with a .dae file? It's neither VRML nor X3D.

Now if you could only explain why it wants a texture file at all, since it's not used on the model!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    As far as I know, DAE uses embedded textures, so you would only need to upload the single DAE file (which you could
    still zip for faster upload).
    And only you can know where the requirement for the "plateK.jpg" texture file comes from - shapeways cannot make up this name,
    so it must be assigned to your model somewhere (and hence referenced in an imageTexture statement in your wrl/x3d file (which is readable text).
    Perhaps a global setting somewhere in your software, or a very tiny, easy to overlook face still has it assigned ?

5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Well, I did not read that yo do not want the texture at all. Do not provide a .jpg, do not zip anything..

Try exporting in a different format. You clearly have colour/texture associated with your model even if it is 'no colour'. If you use a format that does not support colour this should not be a problem, .stl for example. I don't know what formats you have available, try experimenting.

6. dcyale
    dcyale Well-Known Member