My first Gold Plated Brass Ring is a Success

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by IJCx, Aug 21, 2013.

What do you think of the design Vote here if you Like. If you like it please share it on your face

Poll closed Dec 31, 1970.
  1. Love it

100.0%
  2. Would share it with freinds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Would change it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IJCx
    IJCx Member
    This is our first printed ring in Gold Plated Brass. It came out great!!!! Thank You Shapeways...
    :p

1-pc3 (1).JPG 1-pc3 (3).JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    nice work!

3. Vidalcris
    Vidalcris Member
    Very nice result & Design ;)

4. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    Nice work! I recently printed a cufflink in GPB, it seems to be a great material. I was wondering if you have worn these rings over an extended period of time already. Does the gold plating wear off at some point? I'm asking because I would also like to sell some 3d printed jewelry, it would be great if we could share results.

5. IJCx
    IJCx Member
    Thank you for your interest.

No I have not worn this ring. Have no idea how the gold plating lasts. We use these rings as master models to make rubber moulds, from the rubber we make wax models for direct lost wax casting into gold, silver and other metals. We are looking more for good detail and finish for our rubber moulds. I hope this helps in some way.

Thank you again for your comment.

6. designsoul
    hi, thank you for the response. I can understand that for very exclusive pieces the customer will prefer a solid golden ring, but it leaves me curious to ask for your opinion as a jewelry designer, do you think this would be a suitable material to directly create jewelry out of, or are there other reasons not to do this?

By the way, your store includes some gorgeous pieces, I will keep it in mind in case I ever get married :)

7. IJCx
    IJCx Member
    Hi:
    1. is this a good material to make jewellery from? Why not.
    2. Will it wear well. It will always look gold even when the plating wears off. The brass may turn green over time where the gold plating has worn off because of skin acids affecting the brass. It should not be worn into a pool or hot tub. The chlorine and chemicals will effect any open brass areas where the plating has come off.
    3. If you plan on wearing the item everyday. GOLD is the way to go.... Consider buying the item in FUD and having a jeweller cast or take a rubber mould from it, to reproduce the item in at least 10kt gold. Then the potential for green colour and base metal skin reactions will be removed.

Hope this is of some help in your consideration of materials.

Always consider how you are going to wear the item.
    If everyday is the plan you have to consider the material of construction to make sure it will withstand the abuse of everyday life....

8. designsoul
    Thank you, that is very helpful!

9. maskadelic
    maskadelic Member
    Wow! what a lovely finish!

10. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Wow the brass looks great in that design! Be sure to tag it "bridal" and "weddings" so people can find it!

11. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I agree with gemsbridal here, although there is a nickel plate under the gold. The original plated stainless steel I do not use for rings anymore - the gold does indeed wear off. I have no idea how the new plated brass will stand up.