How to model interchangeable parts to make customizable 3d printed object

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by guidosalimbeni, Jul 23, 2013.

1. HI all,
    I would like to ask you help regarding "How to model interchangeable parts to make customizable 3d printed object".

I'm looking to create a sort of LEGO character type of model , where usually , head , torso and leg are separated pieces that you can join toghether .

I understand that in this case the white plastic material is much advisable cause is strong enough to resist pressure and the final model needs to have an appropriate gap between parts of 0.5 mm.

My problem is that all the different alternatives of torso , leg and head , that can be picked to customize my model , are colored with different type of clothes , just painted on the plane surface of the model.
    I understand the only material that supports color information is "sandstone", which unfortunately can break under pressure.

Can I work with sandstone to make this kind of LEGO project?
    How much should be the gap in this case ?
    Have you tried other solutions for a similar project?
    Can you please send me a link to tutorial that can help me develop this project correctly?

thanks in advance I really appreciate your help.

Regards
    Guido

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi Guido,

you could make the coloured pieces in Full Coloured Sandstone (FCS) and create connectors in WSF.

For example, you could print the ball part of the ball-and-socket joints as part of the coloured pieces and then the socket would be in wsf with a post to push fit into the next FCS piece.

Just an idea, I'll let you figure out the details...

Good luck!

3. Thankyou AmLachDesigns,

this is a great idea . I will investigate it.

So you agree that making all in sandstone it's likely not going to work, right?

Regards

Guido

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    "Sandstone" is simply not flexible at all, so you will either need connector pieces made in WSF, or glue the parts
    together as in this figurine recently displayed in the "It arrived" forum.

5. AmLachDesigns
    Exactly.

Or, to put it another way, if you assemble an all FCS model with push-to-fit design you will end up with many more pieces than you started!

6. Hi mkroeker,

thankyou for your reply and the precious link.

it seems that the torso and leg has of the girl in the link has connector , like "push and fit" , is this the type your are mentioning , AmLachDesigns?

How to you thing the gab inbetween the torso and leg of the figure should be thick at the level of the connection?

regards
    Guido

7. AmLachDesigns
    Hi,

maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you wanting to create models with interchangeable parts that are poseable? That will be taken apart and put together again in different combinations? Or do you just want a modular set of components from which you can create different models that once assembled will stay as they are?

Each of these scenarios has different challenges. For the last case you could use just FCS and glue the parts together.

Here is another link 61630 you might find interesting. It combines wsf and FCS.

8. Hi AmLachDesigns,

yes
    I woudl like a modular set of components from which you can create different models that once assembled will stay as they are.

and the link you sent is really reach of information . I'm going it to read it carefully

thanks
    Regards
    Guido

9. AmLachDesigns
    Happy to be of help - next time I will try to read the posts I am replying to more carefully!