Just would like your opinion on my designs

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 380725_deleted, Jun 27, 2013.

1. I have just finished a series of rings meant as a souvenir to Holland. Since I am not used to designing in 3D :blush: , I would like your opinion on them. I just used Creator, which worked out well for me as a beginner, but I probably made some mistakes. So before I spend a lot of money on silver rings, I would like to have your opinion.

You can find the rings on: https://www.shapeways.com/designer/RememberHolland

Thanks a lot!

Marjolein

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    They look great.
    The easiest way to check them is open the stl file in http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php
    It will check, repair, measure and scale your files.

3. Thanks JACANT, I will try Netfabb!

4. 354057_deleted
    354057_deleted Member Design Team
    Keep in mind that your 3D design will be printed exactly as it looks. If the details look small in 3D view, it will print the same. Never hurts to double check thing before production starts to see if it really what you want it to look like. Maybe you should order it in a different material before you decide to print it in one of the more expensive materials. Netfabb is a great tool to use but its not free. Hope this helps. :)

5. Thank you Bryan. Do you have any doubts on the details of a specific ring?

Marjolein

6. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    Depending on the finish you want and whether you will finish them yourself you may have a bit of work getting rid of the print lines. You might get a better, cleaner detail if you etched most of those designs from a blank rings.

I believe the dutch cheese ring will have troubles as the holes look a bit small.

I think the designs are great, but if you are asking for my truthful opinion I would consider re working some of them, make the details larger and with thicker edges... for these designs I would only consider silver as a viable metal material, the details would be quite lost in steel for most designs. Its really worth the time reworking models to get them properly printable as far as the design rules go, rather that receiving disappointing products.

Probably best ordering some in FUD to see how it looks before forking out for silver.