bonsai plant limb trimmer

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 296491_deleted, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Hi Guys. I need some help with a project of mine. I am trying to figure out how to get this thing to work better by making the pinching edges actually pinch harder. In the sketchup model I made, the two "cutting edges" actually fit perfectly together, but here they do not fit at all and it makes the thing useless. I still want to try again to get one that works, but I don't know how to correct the issue.

Do you all have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The printing process is not perfect. Though it may work perfectly in Sketchup a little bit of clearance is needed to compensate for the printing inaccuracies. This happens to be a common problem that is pertinent to all manufacturing methods, not just 3D printing, and most high end CAD software have commands for automatically checking the clearances of parts in attempts to avoid the problem of not seeing interferences.

You need to check the clearance between the two parts, where they slide against each other. The cutting blades should be zero clearance, but everything else should have a little clearance so that they can slide against each other without binding.

If you need help with adjusting the clearance you can add your model as an attachment and one of us will be happy to add some clearance for you. :)

3. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    for the cutting edges i would over compensate then sand/file them back to a snug fit. or for a better cutting edge leave an area to slot on a small razor blade.

4. Yay!

Thank you James.

I have attached the relevant files. I appreciate your help.... I'm a bit green when it comes to 3d modeling still...

Attached Files:

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    You did a great job of modeling this up! :eek:

I'm not sure I'm following the operation though. Can you explain step by step how you'd like this to function?

My initial glance seems to indicate that once the male part is snapped into the female part it would then be very difficult to do anything with it after that point. In your image of the printed version I see that it jammed up just before snapping in fully. Or am I misinterpreting your drawings here and it works in some other way that I'm not understanding.

Explain to me how it works or how you'd like it to work and then I can use some software I have to look for interferences and then adjust the clearances.

6. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    The parts are touching top and bottom, see image.
    You need to cut away to allow the part to fit properly.

limb trimmer.png

7. Thanks so much or your help! I am going to give this a try. I had somehow overlooked that little flaw and with your help, I found it!

8. You are correct in your interpretation of the intent for this design! It does indeed jam up right before it closes all the way. I was hoping to get it to sort of click shut with no gap whatsoever. I want it to be able to pinch very tightly with as much precision as is possible on tiny little pieces of semi resilient vegetation.

Does this help clarify your questions?

Thanks so much for your help! I admire your skill and appreciate your time.

9. You are correct in your interpretation of the intent for this design! It does indeed jam up right before it closes all the way. I was hoping to get it to sort of click shut with no gap whatsoever. I want it to be able to pinch very tightly with as much precision as is possible on tiny little pieces of semi resilient vegetation.

Does this help clarify your questions?

Thanks so much for your help! I admire your skill and appreciate your time.

10. by the way, I love your guys' work on the shop that links to your screen name.

Those DJ headphone cufflinks are really cool.

Where did you guys learn this stuff? I got my only training from the youtube videos and google sketch up tutorials....