Elasto

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by recklesstryg, Jun 17, 2013.

1. recklesstryg
    recklesstryg Member
    Fresh out the printer. Just have to give it a dye job and it will protect my iPhone 5 from falls.
    I have been waiting for elasto material so I could do a case right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 June 13:The Case had to have a few minor dremal adjustment for a good fit (This is my fault I forgot to update the file)
    Update: Prep for Dyeing
    Following:<a href=" http://blog.makezine.com/2013/05/09/how-to-dye-your-3d-print s/" target="_blank"></a>

Step 1: Soaking (make sure the item is cleaned off first)
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Dye
    Follow the instructions
    Boil water
    Mix with dye
    Submerge item
    [​IMG]
    I waited 30 mins

Step 3: Remove Item from Dye and into boiling water
    this step removes excess dye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Let it Dry
    [​IMG]

Step 5: I used a rustoleum clear plastic paint to seal in the dye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Looks pretty good. Thanks for the details. I was thinking this material would be good for a phone case and that does look to be so.

3. recklesstryg
    recklesstryg Member
    It is great for a phone case.

4. I like that case man, very sci fi, and the dye is brilliant! Any thoughts on using a paint brush to apply the dye?

5. recklesstryg
    recklesstryg Member
    I did not paint on the dye. I soaked the case overnight in water, then boiled water then added dye and submerged the case in the dye water for 30 minutes.

6. Oh I'm sorry, I understood your procedure, but I have an elasto model needs to be two colors, sounds like the dye won't hold without boiling though.

7. recklesstryg
    recklesstryg Member
    I brought the water to a boil and then let it sit in the solution for 30 minutes while the solution cooled down. Depending what you and tring to do, either masking off and/or only susspending a section of the model might work.

8. Hi. For Step 1, soaking and cleaning... Did u use any special liquids? Eg: did u use the RIT whitener / brightener?

9. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    oooo v interesting ... I'm also wondering how it wares overtime? Did you have to add vinegar to the water for the soaking?

I'd love us to do some testing on this to figure out best methods.... elasto has such great potential imo

10. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Folks, that thread is three years old and the original poster does not appear to have been active since then...

11. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member