A couple questions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by TerranCmdr, Oct 6, 2009.

1. TerranCmdr
    TerranCmdr Member
    Hello! First of all, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to 3d printing, but I've had quite a bit of modeling experience. So, I had a few questions I was hoping somebody might be able to answer for me.

The basic idea I have is to make a 1:2 scale replica gun. It will not fire anything of course, as it will be entirely plastic, but I do want to put some pretty realistic details in, such as bullets that can be loaded into a magazine and chambered.

I suppose my first question is, when it says 2mm detail, does that mean anything less than that will be ignored by the printing process? The bullet I want to print is about 4.5mm in diameter, and has a little section beveled in at the top signifying the end of the casing and the start of the bullet. In my 3d program it tells me this distance is about .2mm. Will this even show up? (see picture at bottom)

My second question would be, would it be better for my bullet to be standing up on end, or laying down? Being a cylindrical object, I would think the printer might handle it better standing up but I was hoping for some input on this matter.

Finally, do you think this idea of mine is even feasible? The bullet I've designed is pretty tiny already (only about 11.5mm long) and there are a couple of parts I want to design that will be half that size or less. Is this too small for functioning parts? I guess I should add that I plan to use the white and black detail material for these parts.

Thank you in advance for your time and input regarding my idea.

[​IMG]

2. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    Hi TerranCmdr, welcome :)

- The 2mm specification is referring to a minimum feature size, not the resolution of the printing process. It is accurate down to 0.25mm. Your bevel will likely show up, as the total difference is 0.4mm between the different circumferences of the bullet. But it won't be obvious on something so small.

- Unfortunately this isn't someting you can specify with Shapeways. It is entirely up to the operator of the machine which orientation your part is built. On a properly calibrated machine, different orientations should maintain the same dimensions, it only effects the axis on which you can see the layer lines.

- I see no problem with what you've suggested, the black/white detail should work for the small parts no problem. I'd suggest they'd probably even be fine in WSF (SLS). But try and keep them as large as possible, you will achieve the best results this way.

Any other questions, just shout :)

3. joris
    joris Member
    I hate to rain on your parade TerranCmdr but we are based in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands it is illegal to produce, ship, sell, own or carry replica guns.

Replica guns are a category I weapon according to the Dutch Weapons and Munitions law(Wet wapens en munitie). Indeed according to that law any toy or other gun that so closely resembles a real gun that it could be used to threaten someone is forbidden. So we would not be able to produce your model for you.

A weapon so small as that it could not be conceived to be a threat could be OK. However this is my own, non-expert opinion.

You can find the law here(in Dutch) and below that is an English Google Translation:

http://www.justitie.nl/onderwerpen/criminaliteit/wapens/inde x.aspx

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u= http://www.justitie.nl/onderwerpen/criminaliteit/wapens/inde x.aspx&ei=ADPLSoOxKcLp-Qbt-pnpCQ&sa=X&oi=transla te&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DWet%2Bw apens%2Ben%2Bmunitie%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3D org.mozilla:nl:eek:fficial%26hs%3DNH9
    Joris

4. TerranCmdr
    TerranCmdr Member
    Thank you both for your replies. Since the model is a half scale replica, I don't think it could be considered a realistic or threatening replica, but of course that would be up to you guys to decide. However, since I'm doing all the parts individually and assembling them myself, maybe that would take care of that little problem. I suppose we can discuss it more once I have more parts completed. Thank you very much for your input.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I just heard on the radio, I think yesterday?, that Snoop Dog had a necklace that was bullet confiscated from him on a plane. The necklace was for bullets for peace or something like that.

6. TerranCmdr
    TerranCmdr Member
    That doesn't entirely surprise me, seeing as airlines are super strict these days as to what you can and can't carry on the plane. The worst I can see happening is my 1/2 scale 9mm bullet being mistaken for a .22 but during shipping it will be white and quite obviously plastic.