Sandstone submarine

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 314972_deleted, Apr 25, 2013.

1. I'm working on a steampunk-styled submarine and I hope to print it in colored sandstone. I'm a bit concerned about the propellor design which might have printing issues. I've kept each blade 3mm thick but the blades are twisted and that might invalidate the minimum printing requirements for sandstone. Has anybody had experience with an issue like this?

submarine-combined.png

Thanks

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You could save the file as STL and then measure the thickness of the blades with Netfabb Basic.
    The min wall thickness for sandstone is 2mm.. so you may be fine.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Great idea :)

Go with what stony says.
    And you might find the works of FitchenFoo inspirational for additional features ;)

Paul

4. Thanks. Thats a great reference!

5. I think I'm ready to do a test print of this design. I've been learning Blender during this time and this will be my first custom design that I will be printing. I've colored the submarine so that I can print it in sandstone. I had to put in a huge hole (25mm) at the bottom for the printing process. The dimensions are 7x18x10cm. There are some fine details like the telescope, so it will be interesting to see if any part breaks. My biggest concern is still the propeller. I've reduced the number of blades, but the shape is still complicated and I hope it holds up during printing.

submarine.png