$1,200 for my model, is this right?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 325550_deleted, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I'm new here but I thought it would be great if I could print something. It's being marked as $1,200 but it's relatively simple. I can see it's kind of large compared to most things on the site but $1,200 is kind of steep.

Is there something I can do to get this price down? Is there a problem with my model? It's not being rejected.

Attached Files:

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    As you no doubt know, for everything except ceramics (where the price is calculated on surface area) the price is calculated based on the volume of your model. (WSF has a price of 1.40 usd per cubic centimetre, or 0.70 usd for the discount price, which you must be getting).

Your model seems fine, but is probably never going to be cost-effective on Shapeways because it is so big. If you could change the design to reduce the volume dramatically the price would fall accordingly.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    At 10+mm thickness the panels can be hollowed out to remove somwhere in the region of 80% of the material volume. You might need to add bracing within the hollow panels though to help keep the strength.

Paul

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Assuming that you do manage to achieve an 80% reduction in volume the model would still cost approx 240 usd if you are still in the discount zone or 480 usd if you are not.