Legal problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 312566_deleted, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Well to start of my friend tells me since I only have a student version of maya that I will not be aloud to sell any of the models that I print.

Is this true? Can I be sued or charged or something?

I do not think it is true because they will not be able to find out what program I do use.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    From the Maya website:
    Depending upon the file format you select, the output file(s) may be tagged with some line like this:
    STL File created by Maya - http://www.autodesk.com UNITS=MM

You may be correct, they might never find out that you're using it to make money, but.. you always run the risk that anyone you tell might turn you in for a finders fee.

The better part of valor is pony up the money for the legal version, or start learning one of the free packages.

3. Well I model miniture farm toys so there is a very small market and not alot of people but I will keep this in mind
    I will not be opening a store I will be selling to people through emails and such.

Is there a program that i can use to transfer the model into then transfer it into then export so there will be no trace of being made in a free version?

Thank you

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    @gordy2155 - we do not condone or promote the illegal use of software. If your Maya license states that you cannot use it for commercial work, then please respect that.

There are plenty of free 3D modeling apps available that DO allow for commercial use.

Bart

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Can you tell me some programs close to maya??

6. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    My suggestion would be to use Blender. I've come to understand that it is similar to Maya, and even has setup option named 'Maya'. :D

7. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    i have used both and i prefer Blender... even over MAX.

there is always a way not to get in trouble with the EULA. avoid them!

chris

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    When computers first came out the software was super cheap and the hardware was expensive. Nowadays the software is super expensive and the hardware is very reasonably priced. However, we now have FREE software. Like the web browser you use there are lots very good yet completely free to use software available. Free to use even for commercial use.

For doing organic looking designs like sculptures and stuff, try Sculptris or Meshmixer. Commercial equivalents are Zbrush, Mudbox and 3d-Coat.

In addition to those already mentioned there are a few more you might have a look at. Like TrueSpace 7.6 and Hexagon. Also, Trimble Sketchup, formally Google Sketchup, can do most of the things the others can do if you install all the proper plugins for it. It has a very good 3D simulation plugin and compared to all the others I'd say it is the easiest to learn.

If you want to do engineering stuff as in solid modeling, I would get Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0. Of all the free 3D modeling software available this offering from PTC has got to be the most sophisticated and robust while still easy to learn.

Having said all of that, if I were you I'd call the legal department for Autodesk and ask them what exactly do they consider commercial. The reason I say that is, I could see them wanting you to not use their educational software version to make a fortune, but if one is only gonna scratch together enough money to barely afford the software then why would they tell you to stop using it? They lose nothing by keeping you as a future customer, while if they tell you to stop, you're just going to get familiar with a competitors software and when you do start making enough to afford it why would you relearn their software? You see, with software, they lose nothing if one can't ever afford to buy it, cuz it is a non-tangible item. This makes me think they would have some leeway in their policies. Also too, educational institutions MAKE MONEY in enumerable ways. How else are they to teach students how the real world is? So I'd give them a call and see what they have to say exactly.

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    @UniverseBecoming wow that's a great list, thanks for sharing! I'll make it part of our next community journal.

Bart

10. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Thanks Bart! I'm happy to contribute! :D

James

11. -- comment removed, bartv --

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  12. bartv
    bartv Member
    @robertbonenfant: Don't post comments like this on our website. Shapeways firmly believes in intellectual property of our members and others and we'll do what we can to protect it. We will not tolerate any promotion of activities that abuse copyright.

I have edited out your comment.

Bart