Model too small!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 277530_deleted, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I have been uploading some models with no problems, however my latest model, which is around the same size and my previous ones, is telling me, via email, that there was a problem with my model being too small! The message received is:

Your model was too small for any of our 3D Printers.
    Our printers have a minimum bounding box size (h x w x d) of 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 cm / 0.098 x 0.098 x 0.098 inches

The model in question is 1.5cm x 3.5cm x 1.7cm... which is well within the sizes that the message is telling me. Also, when I have previously had problems it did not give a reason, is this something new Shapeways has introduced? Could there be a problem their end??

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Can you share the file with us, and if applicable, the units uploaded as?

3. Hi, thanks for responding.

Interestingly i have always exported from Sketchup to .dae, then imported into MeshLab and exported to .stl. I have always done this as uploading the .dea file directly gives it the wrong orientation.

However i have just tried uploading the .dea file directly and, although the orientation is still wrong (do you know why this is?), it successfully uploaded!!!

Strange. However do you still want the exported stl file for checking? and can you tell me why my .dea models are always in the wrong orientation?

Thanks again.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    There has to be either a scale issue or an error with the model for it to be saying it's too small when it's not

The orientation is because Shapeways uses y as up where other programs use z as up. So if your model is on it's side, you should be able to rotate it 90 degrees before exporting, to solve the issue. The problem is different software use coordinates differently.