Right export setting for .wrl in Maya?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spooky_Bulldog, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Hi SW forumers!

I'm having some trouble exporting .wrl out of Maya and was told to ask here.
    I have a model which passes automated check as .obj with no texture.
    I gave model 2 lambert shaders for color and exported it out. To see if it works, I opened them in C4D. It looks fine, except it bring in the right model with right shader AND duplicate of model with no shader. I'm not sure what causes this.

Also, I've been uploading different try outs of .wrl files and each time I received successful upload emails. Then there's no email about whether the file passed automated check or if it failed. And of course, model is not availble in 'my model'. I contacted customer service and was told that there's something wrong with .wrl file and they can't open it.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

I've attached a zip file containing 'screen grab of export setting' and '.wrl test file'. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Funny thing.
    In C4D, after deleting duplicates from imported in .wrl model, I exported the model out AGAIN to .wrl for just heck of it. And it worked.
    It's uploaded and passed automated checks and everything.
    I'm very happy that I found a work around. HOWEVER, I'd still love to know what I did wrong exporting from Maya.

3. It could have been design error. You had 2 joined spheres and 4 other spheres(1 was red and another white) occupying the same space. That is why removing doubles corrected it. Was rather odd though.

Keith

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. Thank you, Fredd, for looking into it.
    Yeah, acually I made a mistake of duplicating 2 spheres in maya before export., which I'm embarrased of.
    Anyways, duplicating issue when it gets imported to C4D is separte from my mistake.
    To explain myself better about duplicating issue, I've attached a screen grab from C4D.

Attached Files:

5. Exporting/importing does cause oddity's. Least you know now how to correct it. Everyone here has had many failed tests before getting the workflow correct, least I know I have. (Many slippums I have made.) Good that you can correct now for uploads.

Keith