Centering Image Blender and VRML

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Plumguy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    I'm trying to make a 3D print of my rubber duckie.
    I figured out how to edit the VRML file to link to the duckie jpg
    but as you can see he's off-center.
    Anyone know how the duckie can be centered in Blender?
    Using Blender 2.49 on Debian Squeeze exported file as *.vrml97
    Thank in advance
    duckie.jpg

2. Its been awhile, but can you not adjust the texture coordinates in xyz axis, to align the image to the uv map?

Keith

3. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    Actually I've been trying to work along those lines, er axis :D
    No luck yet but will keep trying!
    Thanks for the advice

4. Okay lets try the sneaky approach. Remember that you do not have to unwrap all of your model, just faces where you want to apply the uv image. So just assign a material to the top faces of the upper box, another material to the remaining faces of the top box, and another to the bottom box.
    Select the faces on top of the upper box, unwrap, open your duck pic in the uv editor. Go to object mode, select the material that these faces use, use the color picker for diffuse, select the background color in your image in the UV editor.
    In edit mode, select the remaining top boxes faces, repeat above process for changing that materials diffuse color to the pics background. Click hsv in the color picker when you begin changing the materials diffuse color.

Now select the material where you applied the UV map, assign its texture the ducky pic, set mapping to UV. If the pic appears odd still, tinker with image mapping setting, prolly change to clip.

If its still driving you crazy, upload the zipped VMRL file here, and put it in you next post. Either or someone else will be glad to fix it up for you. If you do not know how to do this, browse to the zipped folder, upload in next post.

This is a pretty ugly, but good example of using uv maps, diffuse and texture paint on a model, to demonstrate options. https://images.shapeways.com/model/picture/674x501_742854_612 634_1350591440.jpg?key=c0fa3437b8a49ddf9ee91abbcf86b4c0

Keith

By the way, you might want to think about updating your Blender version. If you are happy with your version, that is what matters.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    Thanks Keith
    I'll try the methods that you suggest.
    I would rather not upload for someone else to fix it as I won't learn anything that way.
    I'll also look over your attached example.
    Tried checking and unchecking the rotate +Z and +Y axis adjust that VRML seems to do.
    Got a nice spot on the wall picked out for head bangin'
    I'll figure it out sooner or later.

6. For Blender help, #Blender on the irc channel Freenode is a good source for help.

7. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    Well, I spent the better part of my lunch hour trying to find a tutorial on vrml and UV mapping.
    Finally, as I'm a bit pressed for time, I --- cheated.
    Ended up elongating the image of the duck in GIMP so when Blender mapped it, it fit perfectly.
    A work-around, I know, but I really needed to get this done.
    Thanks for your help.
    duckie-resized.jpg

8. Good job. Nothing wrong with creative cheating.:)