Sorry, we were unable to process your uploaded model... again ... again .... again

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 118168_deleted, Nov 25, 2012.

1. It is getting me mad...
    I do have a model, which complies to every rule, I can think.
    See appended photos. Due to Copyright issues I can not upload the model file itself. Still I get these insane senseless messages (because no further rejection explanantion is given, this is what I quote senseless...).
    At the end of this post you can see, what Netfabb says to this model - 100% tight, zero problems ....
    It is really frustrating.... does anyone has a clue ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Just as a test, why don't you reduce the polygon count by a bit more and see if that helps. You are only TWO triangles shy of the 1m limit.. it may be that if you could drop 10,000 or so that it would work. Myself, I'd try making the back entirely flat as a test.

I understand that the rough back may be a feature you desire in the "finished" model.. I'm just suggesting something else to try.

3. Stonysmith - you made my day !

I reduced down to 900.000 and it worked just fine.
    Which bring me to the question - why are the designrules not valid ? (i.e. this max. 1 mio polygons ...)

Thanks
    Heinz

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The number of triangles* is not the real issue, the real issue is the time-out on Mesh Medic and creating the render preview image.
    From experience, the safe limits are;
    A single manifold mesh with around 980k triangles for an STL file. (I have a model at 998k triangles that is printable, but was email rejected and has no preview image)
    Multiple manifold meshes within an STL file varies from 380k to 900k triangles depending on the number of meshes (tested with between 2 & 800).
    Colour models can vary, a 16 shell single image VRML might fail whereas a 15 shell mutliple image model might pass (yes it happened on one very long and frustrating day earlier this year)

*Shapeways upload limit is 1 million triangles (3 sided shapes, polygons can have more than 3 sides.) Any model that Mesh Medic needs to repair will add to the triangle count.

999,999 triangles works sometimes though :)

Paul

[hr][hr]

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Paul's explanation is on target, but I wanted to emphasize the triangle count subject.. look at this image of a simple cube with an eight sided hole in one surface.
    Sample.jpg
    Instead of being 6 sides x 2 triangles each = 12 triangles, this object has 22 triangles (the top alone has 12 triangles in it)
    Then, when Netfabb plugs the hole, it adds 6 more triangles for a final total of 28.
    Even though the 18 triangles in the top are completely co-planar and only 2 are necessary, Netfabb doesn't optimize the vertexes.. it just plugs them.

I know you said that your mode had zero problems originally. But.. IF it had any holes, reparing those holes might have taken it over the 1m triangle limit.