Materials Question (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by randomblink, Jul 21, 2009.

1. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I had a few questions and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...
    [list type=1]
    [*] Does Shapeways offer any 3D printing in a Glow-in-the-dark material?
    [*] Can you mix and match materials? Such as creating a car with one of the blue-jean materials but using the see-through material for the windows?
    [*] Do we have an update on whether Silver will be offered as a metal?
    [*] Is there a clear / see-through material that isn't filmy or translucent? I'm looking for something that is 100% see-through like glass?
    [/list]

2. settinger
    settinger Member
    1. No, but I really hope they do in the future! (Hint hint guys)
    2. The only way to do this is to print out the bluejeans parts separately from the translucent parts and then assemble them yourself. Each type of material is made on a different machine, I believe.
    3. Not yet...
    4. Nope. I know, I'm sad too.

3. joris
    joris Member
    Thin Transparent Detail is not completely see through. It is a bit milky lets say.

Would a lot of people be interested in transparent materials?

What would you like it for?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I don't see a point for a transparent material when it would have to printed in separately any way. Mine as well pick up a piece of flat plastic out of your garbage and cut out your windows or what ever. be a lot cheaper then printing them out. Now if we had a multi material print.... mmmmm I can think of the umpteen possibilities. Odd, Mozilla says Umpteen is a word.

5. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I would be interested in a transparent material... eventually.

Being able to make picture frames with a non-standard, unflat picture cover would be sweet, and the candle containers concepts kinda dance around. That and creepy shapes that distort light when placed near a candle would be fun. So yeah...

6. Youknowwho4eva
    From what I have researched on transparent printing materials is that it is not possible right now to print truly transparent, mostly because of air bubbles. Which is why injection molding uses high pressure presses. SLA's are fairly transparent, but they are still milky. That and the surface would require post processes to get rid of surface deformations. If you want a curved piece of clear plastic, take a 2 liter, heat it up in the oven, and press it firmly on the shape that you want it to take (using heat resistant gloves of course). It would be cool to print light bending shapes. The ideas I have would require true transparency though.

7. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar Member
    Personally i would love it if we could use pure transparent materials for our models. This would allow us to print models that have not only complex exteriors but complex interiors adding another level of detail that im sure many would appreciate

8. joris
    joris Member
    Would transparent materials only make sense if they were multi material? So one machine prints two materials at the same time?

Or would most be interested in just transparent as a material option as is Dalhimar?

Because both choices would involve different machines/processes.

I've seen some interesting transparent materials but all have their limitations or issues.

If you guys could pick any material what so ever that could be 3D printed, any finish, any look and feel: then what would you want?

Joris

9. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I'm going to start a new thread with that as the theme... I think that question deserves it's own thread...

10. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    You are correct in that it requires significant post processing to reach a clear finish, but SLA is certainly capable of it. I've have some Clear SLA here on my desk which is about as clear as you'll get an object that can't be finished by using an acetyl flame.

Certainly not easy, but it is possible.

11. Youknowwho4eva
    I, as well, have had clear SLA's on my desk. I also have clear PS. The clear SLA is really clear. But it still has a tint to it. And the thicker it is the less clear it is.

12. 16893_deleted
    16893_deleted Member
    Glass is a look and finish that would be sweet. Lensing possibilities could produce some interesting effects on the interior.

direct printing of flexible master molds might appeal to me, if I could repeatedly pour hot wax into them.

Any metal that's cheaper to print. Seeing as steel is 14 cents per pound for raw material compared to 80c/lb for aluminium and copper is over 200c/lb, I don't think that that's going to happen, though improvement on producing the powder that you guys use will probably bring the price down over time.

13. 27028_deleted
    27028_deleted Member
    clear resin or coloured plastics. I used clear resins for ages but it was noxious. I'd like to see my original work, when I get around to doing it, in glow in the dark and also in different colours like red, pink, green and blue especially since the cost of getting it made in those colours in bulk through a vinyl factory in China is astronomical.

14. joris
    joris Member
    define astronomical, I have no idea how their pricing works.

15. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    I really like the idea of a truly transparent material, but honestly don't think it's feasible (Or even possible) to accomplish that with 3D printing. I use simple Vacuum molding to create windshields and the such for my models. (RC stuff). You can make a decent windshield at home easily with a homemade Vacuum former, and Shop vac, and a toaster oven.

There is tons of info on DIY Vacuum formers located here.

http://www.vacuumformerplans.blogspot.com/

I made a small one in my shop and have successfully used the plastic from old CD Jewel case to make a few items. I make the form molds out of regular ole wood.
    :D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  16. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I wish I knew 'someone' like you in real life... figuring everything out on my own with only the internet to walk me through it is VERY FRUSTRATING SOMETIMES...

Windshields for RC are possible to create at home with a shop-vac, toaster and some know-how? wow! Fricking McGuyvers on this site... I love it!

I'm itching to get back to my 3D developing... damn school and motorcycle and programming and tumblr and facebook and all the other umpteen million hobbies and timewasters keep getting in the way... (chuckle)

I decided I'm just gonna suck it up, put a butt-load (it's an American measurement) of little 3D experiments up and order $25 worth... (sigh) What I really need is access to one of these printers locally... (sigh) lol...

Peace all...

17. joris
    joris Member
    Move to the Netherlands?

18. Youknowwho4eva
    print to 3D is in PA.

19. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I'm jealous... I would LOVE to have access to one of these...
    (well, besides the 'Shapeways' access I already have, I mean instantaneous and at cost)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  20. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    i've acces to a 3D printer @ school :D
    same material is used as the white detail one!

but the vacuum thing looks great,, just $40.. i think you can get very good results of it!