I'd love to be able to change the angle of my object in the 3D rendered image on my shop

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by LincolnK, Oct 17, 2012.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I'd love to be able to change the angle of my object in the 3D rendered image on my shop.

Any chance you guys could work that into the shop functions?

It is really rare that the models I upload are facing the best way in the rendered image. Any chance you could allow us, when editing the product's page, to select a view for that rendered image?

Thanks,

Lincoln

2. YES, I aggree on that wish too !
    Almost all of my models uploaded are in an awkward angle, don´t have a clue, how to change this.
    Thus my models are upward down, facing back, facing down, facing anywhere, but rarely into the right direction.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Download Netfabb Basic from www.netfabb.com.
    Open the STL
    Select Part/Rotate.
    Pick your rotation....
    Right click the item, select Export/STL
    Enter the filename
    Upload to Shapeways
    done!

4. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    That's not the as good as being able to adjust it on SW's site.

2 reasons:

1) You then have to re-upload the model which is a bit of time waster, especially if you do models with a lot of polys (which I usually do)

2) Netfabb doesn't work with .wrl files which is what I wanted to adjust when I posted this. So anyone doing full color sandstone models can't adjust them in Netfabb

Lincoln

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I agree that having a choice on the site wouild be helpful.
    I was just mentioning the interim solution for those who "need it now". :D

6. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    There was also a change raised on the feedback side asking for that.

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Lincoln,

yes, we're aware of this request. It's on the list, but as far as I know it hasn't been prioritized yet (freely translated: we have decided that some other issues are more important to be fixed first).

Bart

8. Almost every 3D modeling program has some sort of rendering option. It's not so time consuming to take a render in Shapeways 501x674px dimensions, and you get to set up all angles you want.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Simple, I'm using the original shapeway's render and want to have the same look and feel for all angles.