Preview image of model - textures are distorted

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Calistotash, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Calistotash
    Calistotash Member
    This has been happening ever since the update; I managed to fix it on one of my other models by continuously re-uploading my zip file. I have been reassured that the preview doesn't reflect the actual print; but when I'm working on commissions and can't print a prototype out due to time, money, or other reasons, the preview image reflects badly if the texture is distorted.

Here's what it looks like, I've highlighted the badly distorted parts of the image at the side: https://i.imgur.com/jHvcI.png

After 5 re-uploads so far, the texture preview is still like this. I know it's not like that in my own program, so it is a bug on Shapeways. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this in the short term, or if it will eventually get fixed. Thanks.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Does your model have overlapping geometry, or multiple pieces? What should the piece look like?

When you have overlapping geometry, Shapeways software joins the model to be one piece which can reek havoc on your mapping. The best way to see what SW has for your model, is to set your model to downloadable, and download your file back from SW. Also, if you'd like, you can email me the model and I can look at it and see if I can figure out exactly why things are moving.

3. Calistotash
    Calistotash Member
    This is what those parts of the model should look like, undistorted: https://i.imgur.com/bggQh.png

I downloaded the model and opened it up in Meshlab; the textures are correct in there, and look like the link above. The model itself is made up of multiple parts, which I Combined in Maya. They do overlap too. This is the same thing I've done with all my textured models so far, and it's only since the update that I'm having this preview problem. My Chrysalis model was just fine, as was my Passenger model and one of my private commission models.

If the model download shows the correct texture placement, it will print properly, won't it? I'm thinking a short term solution for me would be to upload a render of the model, instead of relying on Shapeways preview images.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    I would message service first as I'm not 100% sure. In the mean time, I'll see what's going on with these renders.

5. Calistotash
    Calistotash Member
    I'll send them an email; thanks for your help.

6. Calistotash
    Calistotash Member
    Update: I managed to resolve this problem last time by constantly uploading the same file for about an hour, til the preview image worked. However, I'm having the same problem again with what I would call a much simpler model (there's no gradient on the texture this time).

I was told that because the process had been updated recently, this wouldn't happen anymore, but it still is. And this time, no amount of uploading the same file seems to work, I've been at this for two days now. I'll also be sending an email to Service about this, like I did last time, but is no one else experiencing this?

Edit: It might just be me, but the 3d turnaround doesn't seem to have any distortion at all, just the preview image.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    Email support with all the details so they can pinpoint what and where isn't working as expected. They should also be able to verify what your model will look like when printed so you can get ordering out of the way without having to wait for the render to be fixed.