Why shapeway does use only UPS? I really hesitate to use shapeways because of UPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KorailDHCPP, Sep 8, 2012.

1. KorailDHCPP
    KorailDHCPP Member
    Why shapeway do use only UPS? I really hesitate to use shapeways because of UPS
    For that matter, i.materialize.com never earn my order yet.

Okay, I am not asking shapeways to use cheap national mails, but why UPS? there's Fedex, which is more or less like UPS, but at least, they are not as bad as UPS in terms of customer service.

UPS never takes cash but only credit card or check for their C.O.D(what a non-sense that C.O.D means Cash On Demand) items. UPS never reschedule in 'out-for-delivery' situation like, even if the client expect he/she can only receive the item only in afternoon, they don't give a shit. it's always the mighty driver's decision. They never be informative about their 'out-for-delivery' schedule , They don't take phone-calls quick enough and phone call agents are nothing but automated machine to repeat their stupid practices and never connect customer to the mighty drivers.

For this, at least, Fedex is different. Phone call agents are not usually kind but at least able to connect customer and driver to re arrange pick up/delivery schedule.

I love DHL. They don't charge excessive brokerage fees and sweet delivery guys are always flexible and informative about their out-for-delivery schedule. How many time DHL guys drove back to me whenever i just call them and ask if he/she can come back right now.

Seriously, why, shapeways, why do you use only UPS?

I don't believe it's not the first complaint that you get from your customers.

I wrote this not only because the mighty driver took back my package from shapeways in front of me today because I only hold Cash, not check, nor credit card , in C.O.D situation.

I am going to print about at least 40 N scale shells sooner or later I am really seeking for local options in 3D printing services to avoid UPS hassle.

Shapeways, I dare you, why UPS? why OOOP-PEE-ASS?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    This has been discussed at length.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6027&a mp;start=0&
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4894 6&&srch=UPS#msg_48946

My first question is why are you paying COD? Is it customs fees? What country are you in? The proper definition of COD is Collect on Delivery, which means that you pay nothing for an item until it arrives on your doorstep, and that's not an option that Shapeways offers. Customs fees are an entirely separate issue.

Shapeways is a multi-national shipper, and most of their packages to not originate in the US. USPS and Fedex become much more expensive when you consider that most packages originate from Eindhoven, NL. Shapeways also would have a big operational issue if they had to select a different shipper for each country. With their bulk UPS contract, they can keep the price low for all of us.

3. KorailDHCPP
    KorailDHCPP Member
    For sure, I am in Oh-Canada, where UPS and Fedex cut off everyone's nose.
    Yes, I am paying C.O.D for that famous duty and brokerage fee.

If you read it carefully, I am not complaining about the fee itself. As a proud Canadian, I have no problem to pay taxes and duties.
    But, the general service attitude of UPS here in Canada is horrible. It is absolutely Not that we Canadians are skinflint about money, but solely UPS does pretty bad in Canada in general.

Yes, we do complain it to UPS directly, but I don't see any changes of this bastard.

The only option left for us Canadians is then pushing on-line service providers and shops not to use UPS for Canadian shipping.

I don't mind pay more for quality hassle free shipping.

thanks

FYI: if anyone interested, call UPS canada directly, and you will be amazed with lengthy automated recording keeps saying 'we can't do this for you, don't ask this to us' on several normal request for other companies. The worst part is that it just plays before you ask about rules and condition. oh Woo-pee-ass.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    With the business ethos of Shapeways, I am surprised within the US
    manufacture, that they do not support USPS, considering the threat to
    infrastructure of a common carrier racking up such losses.

Even without contract terms, $5.20 is less than $6.50, and the box comes
    free.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    They currently have only one printer in the US. The rest of the printers are in the Netherlands.

They plan on changing this (and the shipping) but it takes time.

6. KorailDHCPP
    KorailDHCPP Member
    Well, I am not great fan of national mail systems - USPS, Canadapost, yes, I do agree there are some advantages, at least, the cutting off nose brokerage fee thing. I think it's okay to use USPS or corresponding national mail services for the plastic items, as long as shapeways keeps their super large box with full of shock absorbing material like right now. Yes, it may be necessary to use UPS and privates for silver products, but really, I am not sure all the plastic printings shapeways produces should be handled with that premium shipping service - full tracking, nearly air express service, I feel it's a bit waste for natural resources. After all, everything shapeways produce is 'reproducible' and 'replaceable' so I think it may be okay within the current loosen delivery standard of national mails.

Beside, At least in Canada, UPS delivery guys cannot see the happy faces of shapeways customers receiving their item(s), because they ruin it for everybody with their un-sensible policy of C.O.D practices. 'No, sir, no cash, only credit card or cheque(oh you have bad credit rating, then 'certified cheque' required!). you don't have either one of them, I will come back tomorrow and get your credit card or a cheque. Oh, I cannot guarantee what time will I be back here tomorrow. So just wait till I come, or I will try to come at the time you wish if you pay more, but then again, I can not gurantee, you know. Don't ever try to reach our office to pick this up by yourself. We don't like strangers in our office.'

I am so sick that I have to see that guy again on Monday.