Will the rings rotate?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Plumguy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    Hi guys. Seeking advice from the more experienced modelers out there, please!
    This is my first design which consists of two rings with the inner ring expected to freely rotate. So my questions are:
    Will the inner ring be able to rotate?
    Is the design printable? (i.e. sufficient gap size?)
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated !
    UPDATE:
    Just a point of clarification, my questions regarding rotation,
    gap, and printability are more directed at the pivot and peg and no the rings themselves. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. If you read material comparison chart.
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options/

You will find Minimum detail column. This is point of separation i think. For example the minimum detail is 0.2mm. It means that is you make gap 0.2mm it should be printable or in other words it will separate objects off each other. And then you may add another 0.1 or 0.2 to make it looser.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member

No no no, if you want parts to not fuse you need to follow the minimum clearance stated on the materials design guidelines. Such as for WSF the minimum clearance is .5mm

Minimum detail is for the size of elements you want to be printable and show up on the surface of a model.

4. This is true when you print details together. But when you print them separately and simply what to feet nicely I think 0.2 allowance is good because it also will be lowed after polish of both parts.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Ah in that case I'd go with the tolerance of the material or accuracy. Such as for WSF it's ± 0.15mm, then ± 0.15% of longest axis. WSF is also a rougher material so will have more friction. So material choice is important for moving pieces. So to be sure it would print able to fit in WSF you'd have to have .3mm clearance, as with the accuracy it would print from 0mm clearance to .6mm clearance.

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    In the original post the question was about the pivot, so I think YouKnowWho4Eva your first reply was the appropriate one.