Shop Owner Payments - How It Works
It's really important to us that you have full visibility into how shop finances work, and of course, that they are accurate and timely! Below you can find detailed information about how shop payments work, including all the nitty, gritty details. While this page is designed to explain our process to you, note that our Shop Owner Terms and Conditions ultimately govern our payments.
The Big Picture
On the 15th of each month, we pay your markups via PayPal. All markup payments are made in US dollars. If you do not have a PayPal account that can accept payments from the United States or the Netherlands we will not pay or hold your markups. Markups are paid when the total you've earned (minus the fee) is greater than US$30. These payments have a small amount (3.5%) subtracted called Markup Fees, which cover payment processing.
Markups are added to your account as soon as the item has shipped. All markups up until 11:59PM UTC on the 14th will be included in the calculation for your payment on the 15th. If a model is shipped on the 15th or 16th, you will be paid the following month on the 15th. If you have $50.00 of accrued markups on the 16th of March, your payment will be sent out to you by the 15th of April. Thus we will make payments to you a maximum of 32 days after the date they were accrued.
Please be aware that if you earn less than US$30, then the amount will not be paid, but will accrue to your account until such time as it becomes equal to or greater than US$30. At the end of the year on November 15th, we transfer all your markups to your PayPal account even if your total is under US$30. Also, your markup may be reduced if a model is returned for problems with your design.
Setting Up Your Account
To make sure you are eligible for these payments, complete all information requested on the Shop Settings Page under Getting Paid.
- Billing Address: This is the same address that’s used when you check out on Shapeways and keeps us informed about VAT treatment and other tax implications.
- PayPal Email: This is the Paypal account that we will use to pay you your profits. If you don't have a Paypal account, create one now! IF YOU DON’T HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT THAT CAN RECEIVE FUNDS FROM THE UNITED STATES OR THE NETHERLANDS YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR MARKUP.
Why the US$30 minimum?
We have a few different payment processing fees that make it tough to pay people every month who make less than US$30, so we require a $30 minimum.
What happens if a customer is unsatisfied?
Shapeways will deal with all customer service. We want to enable you to have great designs and sell them. If an issue in your design is raised by a customer we will inform you and work with you to improve it.
If a customer returns the product or gets a refund and we determine that the return was based on our error, Shapeways will refund the customer and still pay you your markup. In those cases Shapeways will also endeavor to work with you to resolve the issue so it does not happen again. If there are recurring returns and/or refunds on your product, we will reserve the right to remove it from sale until the issue is resolved. If the consumer returns the product or gets a refund based on your error, we will not pay your markup. If we have already paid your markup, we may require that you return the markup to us and/or reduce future markup payments until the balance is returned.
If a customer cancels their order before it has shipped, Shapeways will refund them and not pay your markup. In this case you may see the sale under Pending Sales in your shop owner dashboard, but it would not move to Confirmed Sales.
How do we account for sale dates? Is it when someone places an order or when the payment clears?
Orders are added to the upcoming payment cycle once we've received the payment from your customer. Sometimes, it may take a while for your customer's payment to clear, especially if your customer opted to use a bank transfer to pay for his or her order. You will see paid orders in the Pending Sales section of My Sales. Once they have shipped, they move to Confirmed Sales.
Does total markup include a Markup Fee?
Your $30 minimum is calculated prior to the application of the Markup Fee. However, we will remove the Markup Fee from the total markup we transfer to you.
Why didn’t I receive my markup when it was over the $30 threshold?
There are a few reasons that you might not receive your markup even though your account shows that it is over the $30 threshold:
- Your registered PayPal email account may be in a country that cannot receive money from a US PayPal account. If this is the case, we will not pay or hold your markups.
- Your registered PayPal account may be locked, inactive, or invalid. If you are certain that you have given us a correct PayPal email address, you will need to contact PayPal to resolve this issue. Once it is resolved we will send payment.
- Your PayPal email address in your shop settings may not be up to date. If the email address in your shop is not a PayPal registered email, the money is still send out from our account and held for 30 days until the money is claimed by the recipient email. We cannot resend your markup payment to a different email address until those 30 days pass without the money being claimed.
Does total markup include VAT (value added tax)?
Your markup will only include VAT if you are a business in the Netherlands that has provided us with a VAT number.
Don't be shy! We're here to help. Contact Customer Service firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
Get more help in our Forums