This grip is the missing piece of the Sony RX1 / RX1R / RX1R ii - a beautiful and highly functional hand grip that integrates seamlessly with the body of the camera.
A hand grip is a critical component to a camera, adding security to your hold and giving you a tactile response as you compose. I wasn't satisfied with any aftermarket grips I could find - they were all either minuscule, featureless lumps that did nothing for the camera, or massive plates of metal that killed the minimalism of the RX1.
This grip falls between those two extremes, with a contoured & textured surface that gives you control without unnecessary bulk. It securely bonds over the existing grip of the camera using double-sided adhesive (not included, see below) and its design enhances the appearance of the camera rather than detracting from it.
1) Get some strong doubled sided adhesive. I used 3M 468MP, cheaply available via Amazon Prime here.
2) Clean the backside of the grip you received from Shapeways. (No tape can stick to a dusty object.) Clean the front of your camera while you're at it.
3) Apply a layer of tape to the back of the grip, conforming it cleanly to the printed part. Burnish the tape down well.
4) Use a sharp blade to trim the tape around the edge of the grip. This is slightly tedious but easily doable.
5) Peel off the tape backing. (At this point, I added a second layer of tape and trimmed it, because my tape was very thin: 5 mil. If you're using something thicker, this is probably not necessary).
6) Place the printed grip down over the existing rubber pad on the RX1 body. The part should align with the edges of the grip as shown in the photo. The top of the printed grip fits against the top of the rubber grip on the body itself.
7) Thoroughly press the grip down onto the body of the camera, making sure all areas receive enough force to bond the adhesive to the camera body.
Properly executed, these steps result in a grip that is strongly bonded to the camera and should not come off during any normal use. The strength of the bond will increase over 24 hours as the adhesive sets. If you need to remove it at some future date, carefully prying it up from the edge with a knife is possible.