For those that want as much weight down low as possible we beefed up our standard axle mounted servo adapter in just about every way. It's the same basic design... Just Heavier Dutier. It still sits on top of the diff, uses 3 diff cover screw holes, and creates a cradle over the rear link holes.
This adapter will add an estimated 47g of weight down low compared to the ~33g of our standard (we're waiting on the prototype to show up to get good estimate. Just going off material increases
). Taking into account how much some brass can go for it's not a bad bang for the buck. Even at Shapeways costs :)
Changes from standard V1.1
- Weight savings went out the window (weight savings = materials savings = cost savings though)
- The front face was pushed forward .8mm
- All fileting of back edges was removed
- Side walls of the servo ears pushed out ~1MM
- Back of servo ears moved back ~5mm (most of the weight increase)
- Screw hole size increased by .1mm (to 3.25mm) to accomodate for manufacturing variances (less cleanup!!)
3 x M2x~12mm to replace the factory diff cover screws
1 x M3x~30mm and a nut for the links
4 X M3X~17mm and 4 x nuts for the servo
This is not a bolton affair for a stock Gen 8. It's very easy on a Gen 7 with the portal conversion. Gen 8 lacks a 4th link slot up front and the motor is kind of in the way. It can and has been done, by others but not plug-n-chug unfortunately.
Shapeways states a +/- 5% tolerance so some minor sanding may be necessary. We've done a lot of metal parts and shapeways usually nails the dimensions. The 20 day lead time is usually about 2x what it takes. In all of our orders we've only had one take longer than 10 days from order to ship.