Catalog (click here)
Recommended conversion parts to build USS Pennsylvania BB-38 as she appeared in 1945 from:
This model kit superstructure is intended to help the modeler convert any 1/350 USS Arizona BB-39 model kit to sistership USS Pennsylvania BB-38 in her final wartime appearance. This model represents the ship's enormous forward command and control tower with distinctive fighting top, supporting tripod, air defense station, Mk.37 fire control director bases, and signal deck.
Use of an airbrush to paint this model is recommended. Surface smoothing, especially in less-accessible areas, can be achieved using an "air eraser" (click here to see one example among many).
Instructions describing how to convert your USS Arizona kit to USS Pennsylvania are not provided with this product when shipped to you. Please study the images shown in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each part goes, as well as online references such as photographs of USS Pennsylvania BB-38 found on NavSource (click here).
- fully assembled
- overall dimensions and features scaled from official US Navy drawings. Overall dimensions match scaled drawings by Thomas Walkowiak with details adjusted to match hi-resolution photographs of the actual ship
- accurately shaped decks, deckhouses and splinter shields
- properly shaped navigation bridge and pilot house
- accurately shaped and detailed fighting top with external bolthead detail and intricate internal structure
- accurately shaped fighting top rooftop radar platform with below-platform structural details
- accurately shaped air defense deck with unusual mid-deck sloped ramp
- accurately positioned air defense lookout shelters with open scuttles
- accurate doors in accurate positions, some doors open, with chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- accurate portholes of the correct size (12" and 16"), properly positioned, with rigol (eyebrow) detail
- open top flag lockers with perforated rear supports
- accurately located and integrated 20mm Oerlikon ready service ammunition lockers
- small, subtle raised locator disks marking 20mm Oerlikon positions (Oerlikons not included)
- "battle light" detail
- Mk.37 secondary battery fire control director bases (Mk.37 directors available separately)
- accurately shaped and positioned twin-gun 40mm Bofors tub
- heavy under-deck supporting structural details, accurately shaped and positioned
This 3D-printed model is an original 3D design accurately representing features of the real ship based on authoritative plans. This model is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic or resin kit's parts. It may be shaped and sized a bit differently than other kits. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit.
Click here for cleaning, surface smoothing and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.