Design of the Ku-8-II began in December 1941, the glider was essentially a Kokusai Ki-59
, with the engines and fuel tanks removed and a modified undercarriage. It was given the Allied
code name Goose
and later Gander
. It could carry eighteen troops, or 1500 kg of cargo and two crew.
version that was produced in 1944 used a tubular steel frame structure, and had a hinged nose that could be opened to the side to allow loading. Also, its capacity was increased slightly to carry twenty troops.
In total, approximately 700 were built. They were used operationally in the Philippines
, primarily to carry supplies.