A set of 10 N scale signals and bases for recreating the distinctive Denver and Rio Grande style hooded signals. Also suitable for modelling Southern Pacific and Union Pacific railroads.
These are designed to be operational, however if you wish you can easily build them without the LEDs.
Additional required ingredients:
- K&S 1/16" (1.6mm) brass or copper tube
- Red, orange and green 0603 surface mount LEDs
- Thin magnet wire (enamel coated wire)
- 1k resistors
- Epoxy and super glues
- Black, silver, and grey paint
- Cut a length of K&S 1.6mm (1/16") brass or copper tube to the appropriate length, approximately 33mm.
- Paint the signal hoods and bases.
- Carefully flux and tin the contacts on the back of the LEDs.
- Super glue the LEDs to the back of the hoods.
- Solder thin magnet wire to the LEDs. I solder the -ves together and then solder that to the end of the brass tube. The other wires I carefully feed down the middle of the signal mast.
- Glue the mast to the signal head with super glue.
- Mix up some 2 part epoxy glue and tiny it black. Gently coat the rear of the signal heads to give them some extra strength and hold the wires in place. This will also stop any light shining out the back of the signals.
- Paint the signal masts a silver colour.
- The bases are a push fit on the brass tube. Decide on the desired height and glue these in place.
- Now plant the signals on your railroad and wire up the LEDs.