Catalog (click here)
Recommended island to build USS Enterprise CV-6 from the following Revell and Lodela Yorktown class aircraft carrier kits:
Scale: the box of these kits is sometimes erroneously labeled as 1/542 scale , 1/400 scale, 1/490 scale or 1/480 scale. The true scale of the model kit, when compared to measurements drawn on official US Navy blueprints of the actual ship, is 1/487 scale, This island is precisely scaled for your Revell kit.
This accurately shaped and highly detailed model represents the June, 1942 Battle of Midway appearance of the island of the US Navy's most decorated warship, the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise CV-6, the "Big E". Enterprise received 20 "Battle Stars" for her service, more than any other US Navy warship during World War Two.
Accurate Model Monkey parts for USS Yorktown CV-5, USS Enterprise CV-6 and USS Hornet CV-8:
- overall dimensions accurately scaled from official US Navy plans drawn by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, dated 1940
- details confirmed by careful study of period photographs of the real ship
- open Pilot House windows
- open Fighting Top windows
- open Primary and Secondary Flight Control windows
- open Battle Lookouts, aka "Vision Slits"
- open doors, ready for your favorite photo-etch (not included)
- accurately shaped decks
- accurately shaped splinter shielding and Pilot House sky lookout position shape unique to Enterprise
- properly shaped funnel cap with exterior piping detail
- delicate exterior electrical cabling detail, accurately routed
- properly sized and located 16" and 12" diameter portholes
- properly scaled smokepipes passing through the entire island - forward smokepipe at the correct slope
- heavy structural deck support details (light supports omitted, ready for your favorite photo-etch
- aft cutout for crane
To fit this island to your Revell kit's flight deck, please remove the raised locator strips on the Revell kit's flight deck part #43. A simple cuticle cutter can cleanly and easily remove these raised locator features.
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
From Wikipedia: "USS Enterprise (CV-6), was the seventh U.S. Navy vessel to bear the name. Colloquially referred to as the "Big E", she was the sixth aircraft carrier of the United States Navy. A Yorktown-class carrier, she was launched in 1936 and was one of only three American carriers commissioned prior to World War II to survive the war (the others being Saratoga and Ranger). She participated in more major actions of the war against Japan than any other US ship. These actions included the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, various other air-sea engagements during the Guadalcanal Campaign, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf. On three separate occasions during the Pacific War, the Japanese announced that she had been sunk in battle, earning her the name "The Grey Ghost". Enterprise earned 20 battle stars, the most for any U.S. warship in World War II and became the most decorated US ship of World War II."