This is my DOTA 2 - Shadow Blade build created for the ShapeWays, Polycount, Valve competition. The finished blade styles as a short sword and the images displayed were printed in PLA+ in preparation for the competition. Doubtless SLS will prove to be of better quality. Note that this kit has cutouts to allow for electronic lighting effects that you can view here - click here
for facebook video
The finished blade has a gold foil finish on the pomel and guard and distressed bronze coating on the gold foil. I've used purple water soluble oil paint to finish.
The electronics include:
1. Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 1200mAhPID: 258
2. Standalone Momentary Capacitive Touch Sensor Breakout - AT42QT1010 PID: 1374
3. Adafruit Pro Trinket - 5V 16MHz PID: 2000
4. Adafruit PowerBoost 500 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 500mA+
5. Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - White (17 Neopixels used)
This is running a basic fade in/fade out sketch as sourced from tweaking4all - click here for more.
The pieces will fit together without the electronics but I thought it would be a nice touch.
Note that I used Translucent PLA in my model as shown on the picture and the shapeways print is in Nylon (SLS)