Catalog (click here)
Set includes 8 double dome mounts (turrets) and 9 barrels (one spare).
A set of single-dome Mk.42 mounts for destroyers is available separately (click here).
Recommended for the following classic kits:
- Airfix 1/600 scale USS Forrestal CV-59 (# 08201 and 10201-8)
- Aurora 1/600 scale USS Forrestal CV-59 (# 701 and 701-259)
- Aurora 1/600 scale USS Saratoga CV-60
- Heller 1/600 scale USS Forrestal CV-59 (# 81065)
- MPC 1/600 scale USS Forrestal CV-59 (# 5301 and 1-5301)
- MPC 1/600 scale USS Saratoga CV-60 (# 5302 and 1-5302)
- Monogram 1/600 scale USS Forrestal CV-59 (# 3504)
- Monogram 1/600 scale USS Saratoga CV-60 (# 3505)
- Monogram 1/600 scale USS Independence CV-62 (# 3506)
This multi-part model kit represents the double dome versions of the highly successful 5 inch 54 caliber Mark 42 Mount installed aboard many US Navy and allied warships. To assemble the model, insert the cannon, barrel first, through the open bottom into the gun slot
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
- overall dimensions from official US Navy drawings
- separate cannon and trunnion to allow the modeler to set the barrel at any realistic elevation from +85 deg. to -15 deg. just like the real mount.
- two detailed "frog-eye" local fire control domes (right for antiaircraft, left for surface firing)
- properly scaled hatches with hinge details
- access plates with hex-head bolt details
From Wikipedia: "The Mark 42 5"/54 caliber gun (127mm) is a naval gun (naval artillery) mount used by the United States Navyand other countries. It consisted of the Mark 18 gun and Mark 42 gun mount. United States naval gun terminology indicates the gun fires a projectile 5 inches (127.0 mm) in diameter, and the barrel is 54 calibers long (barrel length is 5" × 54 = 270" or 6.9 meters.) In the 1950s a gun with more range and a faster rate of fire than the 5"/38 caliber gun used in World War II was needed. Because of this reason, the gun was created concurrently with the 3"/70 Mark 26 gun for different usages. The 5"/54 Mk 42 is an automatic, dual-purpose (air / surface target) gun mount. It is usually controlled remotely from the Mk 68 Gun Fire Control System, or locally from the mount at the One Man Control (OMC) station."