You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
This is a replacement saddle for MDC's HOn3 locomotive kits. It will allow lowering the boiler by 1/8". There are other requirements as well, including (but not necessarily limits to):
- grinding out room in the boiler for motor clearance
- modifying the cab for the tang on the end of the frame casting
- trimming the frame near the motor to allow the boiler to settle lower
It is highly recommended to review old articles in the hobby press (circa 1980) or ask for detailed help on this conversion via the HOn3 or MDC email lists.
1. Cut the original saddle off the top of the MDC cylinder casting, flush with the top of the horizontal section connecting the cylinders.
2. File the cut area flat.
3. Line up the hole in the replacement Shapeways piece with the hole in the cylinder casting. Note that the hole is NOT centered longitudinally; match the original metal casting.
4. Use ACC or epoxy to glue the replacement Shapeways piece to the MDC cylinder casting.
5. Before painting, clean the casting thoroughly with alcohol and/or soap water.
The recommended default material is Black Acrylate, as it has good detail and is not brittle as the Frosted Detail plastics.